Saturday, October 12, 2013

First day attempts

Riding to altitude
There were nineteen of us JOS (Jumpers Over Seventy) crammed into the plane on our ride to altitude. We made four attempts yesterday (Friday), and we managed to build the formation to about 14 on our best attempt. Part of the problem of building a formation is that the base people, six of them, must build their six-way round before the rest can begin to take our grips. In a Twin Otter aircraft, many skydivers must make their way to the door from behind, and it can take a long time if everybody isn't doing their job. On the first attempt, it took me almost ten extra seconds to reach the door before I could dive toward the formation. I couldn't even see it!
Practicing the shuffle
We were given tips on how to get out faster: put our left foot forward and take fast little shuffling steps to the door. The second time it was a much faster exit, but the base didn't complete, so we couldn't start building the formation. On the third attempt, someone came into the formation so fast that they blew it apart, and we all had what skydivers often call an "air bath" because we still had lots of time in freefall and nothing to head towards. But on the fourth attempt, we must have been pretty tired, as people were exhausted from the hard work on the previous attempts, and it was the best jump of the day.
Quaffing beers after the jumps
After we were done, feeling pretty excited by the improvement on the last skydive, we stood around and drank beer, which is a time-honored activity after a good day of skydiving. These guys all know how to do it, since most of them have been in the sport for a very long time. The smiling lady in this picture is Louise, Scotty's wife, who isn't yet old enough to be on these JOS jumps. We have four men on these attempts who are over 80, and the oldest is 87, Bud LaPointe. The guy in the bright yellow shirt in the middle of the picture, Bill Jones, is 82 and has two artificial knees, one hip replacement, and hardware on a section of his spine. And he's the guy I follow out of the plane.

Today and tomorrow we will have formation loads, meaning that the problem of having such a long distance to get to the formation will be solved, as we will have ten people in two aircraft, which will fly very close to one another. We will build the formation using several time-worn techniques to get us all out of the planes at the right moment. I'll be reporting tomorrow on our progress. The weather is fantastic, it was 78 and clear as a bell yesterday and is projected to be the same all weekend. More later.
:-)

24 comments:

  1. smiles...hey you stayed at it til you got it right...and you had fun...pretty funny you had to get worn down a bit to get it right...and fun times after....sounds like you are in for good weather as well...enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have been worn out at the end of this day so much so, I might have trouble lifting that BEER. It sounds quite exciting, but the question is - how does someone jump out of a plane with all that artificial hardware and not undo any of the hardware - guess he must be real good at landing, Eh Really interesting read DJan. Happy Skies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy the weather is good and you're all having fun! And Bud is still jumping at 87... wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good golly! i'm shaking in my shoes (bare feet, actually) just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the tenacity of this group!
    Can't wait to read your next post, Jan.
    I could "see" the individuals moving toward their positions to make the jump because of the fine way you write. Love being here....and my heartiest congratulations to each member of this group.
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great update, wishing you nothing but more blue skies & formation fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that things are going well for you, DJan. Sounds like you are having lots of fun. I look forward to future reports from you. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW...WOW....and WOW. I am so totally impressed and in awe of you. This is one activity I could never do. I would be barfing my innards out just in the plane!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 87 I am impressed! You guys rock! Hope today is better than yesterday, I am sure you will get it right! Safe landings for you all!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 4th time lucky. How do you manage to pack your chutes so quickly to do that many jumps or do you have more than one chute?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, wow, and wow. Love the passion and the commitment - and hope that today is a HUGE success for you - and fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're involved in some pretty tricky planning! I know you'll do your part. Good luck for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds nerve wracking to me, but I know you all know what you are doing. Stay safe and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure I would have the courage to try this. But you obviously do. So keep having fun!

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun!!!
    What a trip...both figuratively and literally.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your group takes the "old" out of old. Awesome fun. So glad you are there and having a great time doing what you love to do. The weather was beautiful here yesterday too. We are due for lots of rain tomorrow but the farmers are working hard here on harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE the photo of you guys practicing the "shuffle" Looks FUN!!! :D

    Sounds like a fabulous time... it's amazing thinking about jumping out of a plane, but so many people over 70 doing it (and 80!) with replacement knees etc..?! And doing a formation?! My hat's off to you guys!!!

    Finally: was anyone taking photos in the air? Would be fun to see some of those! ;o)

    I hope the rest of the weekend you had clear skies and plenty of fun jumps!

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds like a lot of work but then I do understand the importance of timing and everyone doing their part. I hope all went well today.

    ReplyDelete
  19. artificial knees and hips and still jumping? I was advised by my orthopedic guy to give up tennis so I would jar my fake knee and possibly demolished it. Oh he did mention I could still play doubles if I didn't go all out. What a bunch of baloney. Ten years of real competition lost.... grr.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, over 80!! How fantastic is that?! In fact, the whole idea of skydivers over 70 breaks a whole lot of barriers and concepts. Kudos to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Eight Seven years old! God Bless him.
    It sounds like a lot of work but when it all comes together it must be pretty exciting!
    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always felt like I deserved a drink after 8 holes of golf. I can't imagine what I would drink after skydiving.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You and your group are so inspiring. Not that I would ever attempt a jump but you reinforce how age is just a number.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.