Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Semiahmoo Spit

Today's Happy Wanderers

You may count seventeen of us who traveled today to the Semiahmoo Park for a nice five- or six-mile walk in delightful mostly sunny weather. We did have a few sprinkles at the beginning, but they cleared, for the most part, giving us plenty of sunbreaks. I had never visited this part of Whatcom County before, which is located in Birch Bay, just across the Semiahmoo Bay from White Rock, Canada. The name, Semiahmoo, belongs to a Salish Sea subgroup of indigenous peoples, the Semiahmoo First Nation. I have grown accustomed to the strange names of several of the tribes, but this one is a new one for me. The local Chamber of Commerce offered some information:

The Semiahmoo county park offers one of the best paved walking trails in Whatcom county. The trails runs from the park entrance all the way to the end of the spit of land and the marina/resort. The park has vast stretches of beach on both Semiahmoo Bay and Drayton Harbor. There are picnic tables scattered throughout the park and a bird viewing station with scope.

Our leader today, Don, volunteers time at the cannery museum, which offers a look back in time to when Semiahmoo was busy processing and packing salmon from Alaska. Don spends a fair amount of time in the area, and he showed us the interesting area today and gave us a special tour of the museum as well.

Looking across the bay at White Rock

We spent some time walking along the beach at the spit but the tide was high, so we found a place a bit off the beach that was easier walking. We were enjoying ourselves, not walking very fast or caring much about getting our heart rates up, but still it was delightful.

A handy sign that explains the area

There was much to see and enjoy before we reached the end of the marina and started our trip back, this time on the road, which was much easier walking. But first, a quick look at White Rock in Canada from our vantage point.

The large downtown building in sunlight

The Semiahmoo are both Canadian and American by birth, and I am not at all sure how that works, but I think I'll be coming back to this area again, and hopefully I will have a chance to learn more about the area and its people.

Our group again, this time with me in the photo

As we made our way back to the beginning of our excursion, I saw a couple of eagles sitting on a branch, making themselves look a bit like a heart, so I figured that might be a good way to finish the post. Do you see it?

Eagle love

And I could go on and on, but for now that's enough. I hope you enjoy the trip as much as I did.

:-)

3 comments:

  1. It's an area I have only past on the way to somewhere else. Thanks for the pics. Yes, the heart of an eagle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting area! Oh the Eagles...you can have them.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of these places have many good stories. Your leader obviously knew some of the good stories.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.