Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Lovely day on Hertz/Connector trail

Today's Happy Wanderers

Only seven Happy Wanderers showed up today, when our original hike was changed because of construction, and instead we headed over to the Hertz trail and took a rather challenging trip up the Connector trail to the new overlook and back. The entire trip was somewhere over six and under seven miles, but there is quite a bit of elevation gain in a short distance.

Mushrooms along the trail

One of our hikers was happy to see these mushrooms, which she decided to harvest on the way back down. And she did indeed do that. Most of us are afraid of wild mushrooms, but not Leann. She loves these parasol mushrooms and never misses a chance to take them home.

The new connector trail beginning

We hiked for two miles along the Hertz trail, until we came to this connector trail, which most of us have been on before. It goes up to the Chanterelle trail, making an 11-mile loop now available to those of us who enjoy these trails. 

On the stairs

One of the interesting features of this new trail is a series of 347 steps taking us up, ever up, towards the overlook. A passerby took this of the group on the way up to the overlook. We did count the steps, and once before I got this total, so I think it might be accurate. I know my legs felt a little bit stressed by the time we got to the overlook.

At the top of the steps, our leader Persis

We walked the .1 mile to the overlook, and enjoyed a quick early lunch while we rested before beginning our descent. I got this wonderful photo of Whatcom Lake below us.

A glorious view

One of the reasons we didn't have more takers for today's hike was, I believe, that the day was supposed to bring a fair amount of rain. However, we didn't have so much as a raindrop as we went on our out-and-back excursion.

We even saw a bit of filtered sun

However, once we reached the cars and piled in for our return trip home, the rain began, first as a sprinkle, and then before we got to the Senior Center, a deluge. Once again, we lucked completely out with the rain. I am sorry we didn't have a larger group, but for my part it was simply perfect. I was very glad I went out with the Trailblazers today.

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.