Thursday, July 18, 2024

Solo walk today

Looking up

 Today, one of my usual hiking days, was spent going for a solo walk around Squalicum Harbor, instead of heading up to the High Country with the Senior Trailblazers. It's definitely a sign of my getting older that I had little to no desire to hike in the sunshine today. Both trips were to places with mostly full sun and no shade. This picture was taken on Tuesday, walking back down the logging road. Someone suggested looking up at the trees above us, and I stopped to take a snapshot of the overhead trees.

I feel a little bit sorry that I didn't actually want to go, but I didn't. It makes such a difference for me to have shade and a light breeze. I went for my walk down to the waterfront, and early today it was delightful. But as soon as I moved away from the water (and the breeze), it began to get uncomfortably warm. There was a time when I c\would just push through, but I fear those days are behind me now. That, and I couldn't actually see the point.

On the way back, I stopped at the Senior Center (which isn't air conditioned) and walked into a very full scene, with people sitting and chatting in every corner, and I sat down for a few minutes before leaving. Nobody seemed to mind that it was hot and stuffy; all I wanted was a frosty drink and some place to rest. I wasn't feeling all that exuberant and tried to ignore my lower back, which felt painful for some reason. I would have taken a Tylenol, but I looked inside my pack and found nothing. I'll fix that before my next walk. I went somewhere around five miles, so the day was not a complete loss.

Most people love the summertime and the long hot days. But I am looking forward to the fall, when we will have some cloud cover and shorter days. "Someone" is becoming more sedentary as she ages, it seems. At least for the moment. 

:-)

10 comments:

  1. Five miles is not exactly a walk in the park, give your self a little slack old gal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five miles on a day that is too hot for you is nothing to sneeze at. And hardly sedentary. I hope you enjoyed your cool drink - and would send you some of our cool weather if I coud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is impressive compared to many,

    ReplyDelete
  4. There comes a time when our tolerance of heat and sun is definitely less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how people survive in triple digits without AC. But we did growing up... just had fans... and the heat and humidity in N.O. is something else. Guess you adjust. But it's a bit harder to adjust as you get older. I think you're wise not to push yourself too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walking five miles is not being sedentary! lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Five miles? Not sedentary. Sitting inside now in my recliner with my laptop, after a semi-busy morning, much more sedentary. But 81 is hot outside. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have avoided hot and humid weather, especially without a breeze. It is going to cool a bit tomorrow. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy you can find joy in your own company on your solitary ramble. The entire country seems to be baking right about now, but it is the middle of summer. Our temps will be well over 100 the next week. I am heavily watering the yards and doing laundry in the early part of the day. No walkabouts for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favourite kind of walk was always a solo walk.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.