Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Pi Day 2023

Today's pussy willows 

Walking home from the bus today, I spied these pretty pussy willows bursting out of their coverings. It won't be long before I'll figure out what they are going to become, but for now their pretty, soft fuzzy resemblance to a kitty's paw is good enough. And soon I'm going to the store and most likely will be confronted with actual pie to consider buying. I probably won't, since neither I nor my hubby need the calories. My dad used to say, "a moment in the mouth, an hour in the stomach, and a lifetime on the hips." 

However, if I were to choose a pie, it would probably be apple with lots of cinnamon, or maybe even lemon meringue. I'm telling myself to stop with the pi reminders. Do you know why 3/14 is considered Pi Day? Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it:
Pi Day is an annual celebration of the mathematical constant π (pi). Pi Day is observed on March 14 (the 3rd month) since 3, 1, and 4 are the first three significant figures of π. It was founded in 1988 by Larry Shaw, an employee of the San Francisco, California science museum, the Exploratorium.

The link has plenty more to say and explain about the meaning of the day. I didn't realize that it's also Einstein's birthday! Or that some people celebrate Pi for the entire month of March. Just because there is no end to pi and the number goes on forever... I suppose it would be nice to have a pie that never ended.

It would be nice to find a reason to help yourself to a piece of pie, and today might give you that reason. I'm off to the store, and I do hope I am able to contain myself from buying a pie. I hope you have a good day, whatever you do! (Maybe just a tiny little piece...)

:-)

12 comments:

  1. It's 3/14 cuz Pi is 3.14, so the math folks chose 3/14 on the calendar year. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it was Pi Day, but how did I not know it was Einstein's birthday too? Well, we're dealing with a surprise cold snap and snow right now, otherwise I'd be very tempted to walk to the bakery and buy a Dutch apple. Hope you remain strong, DJan. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. B baked a Key Lime pie for the occasion. My favorite . . . worth that "lifetime on the hips."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 3.14 Day and thanks for letting me know about Einstein's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No pie here. Though we were tempted…

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you did treat yourself to some pie today. It'd certainly better than baking/buying a whole pie. which I have done inthe past.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was always more of a cake person but you have reminded me that there are several pies I do enjoy. Hope you were able to resist temptation...or maybe just one slice... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeez. I hope you had pie, particularly apple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed the whole pi thing yesterday and now ... Beware the Ides of March today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never did understand the concept of pi. But I would love to have pie right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, Albert Einstein. I would always say that if I was stranded on a remote island, I would like to have Einstein, Eric Clapton, and my husband with me. But I would also like to have hotel accommodations and catered food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We celebrated pi day I made some hand pies cherry...and they were really good:)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.