Thursday, October 20, 2022

Hertz trail, truncated

Leisurely walk

After learning that both groups of Senior Trailblazers canceled their hikes for today because of horrendously bad air quality, I called Melanie to see if she wanted to find a way, any way, to get in a few safe steps. We finally decided to make a trip to the Hertz trail, which follows an old railroad grade on the side of Lake Whatcom.

Lake Whatcom with log

We've done this particular walk in sun, rain, wind, as well as in ideal conditions. This is the first time we did it because it is flat, so we could walk slowly enough not to breathe too deeply. We wore masks all the time we were hiking, but I found that my N95 is so good at blocking everything that in no time at all, it was dripping from my breath, even though we were walking slowly. It wasn't exactly fun, but we did manage to walk the trail for two miles before turning around. We only walked a portion of the trail, unusual for us, but neither of us wanted to take any chances on a day like today.

Fall colors are everywhere

Yesterday's air quality was even worse than today's, and I don't think we would have tried even this short walk then. The air quality had moved from yesterday's "very unhealthy" into the "unhealthy" and just a short distance into that category. The air is supposed to improve tonight, and we should get some rain tomorrow, which should scour out most of this awful air. I saw on the news that parts of Seattle are currently experiencing the worst air quality in the world. We are not that bad, partly because we are so close to Bellingham Bay, and also because of the wind direction in relation to the wildfires that are still burning. We will all be so glad when this particularly difficult period has passed.

Strolling through the leaves

We got back to Mel's car well before noon, so we decided to go out to lunch. Melanie treated me to a wonderful salad and garlic fries at a place called Sliced, which is a new restaurant in the old Boston Pizza location at Bellis Fair Mall. I had a lovely salad (Green Goddess) with garlic fries, which Mel and I both worked at but I still had a huge amount to bring home. I think I will stay away from those fries, though, because the garlic was strong enough that it is all I can taste, hours later. But I would go back there again in a minute, as the food was good with generous servings and excellent service (not to mention high ceilings and patrons spaced well apart).

It was a really nice way to enjoy more time together before heading home. We both hope that next week we will be having more of our usual Pacific Northwest blue skies and great air. We made the best of a difficult situation, and I am truly happy to be home looking out the window at the haze and not breathing it in.

:-)

13 comments:

  1. Our daughter reports the worst air in Abbotsford that she's ever seen too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago when we lived in Newfoundland, there was a forest fire and the air quality was terrible. You could taste the air. I hope it improves for you soon, Jan. You both did well today to walk as far as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After our dreadful fires my city experienced the worst air quality in the world for weeks. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I hate being able to see the air that I breathe and love that you and Mel were being careful. Continue to look after your important self. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read another blogger, Stargazer, from Washington who was also staking claim to the worst air in the world. Not something we shoot for is it? Thankfully your pictures didn't look too smoky. Do be careful. As the other blogger said, the lungs are not forgiving. Hope the rain knocks it down for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forest fire smoke is annoying. It's that 24/7 . No breaks. We've been lucky this year and haven't had smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was actually surprised to read this--like Arkansas Patti, I follow Stargazer too and she was too afraid to venture outside. Well, your photos are still beautiful and my mouth is watering at those garlic fries! That Melanie is a keeper :^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so dedicated, and your dedication was rewarded in several ways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad you didn't take pictures of the restaurant and food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's now Saturday afternoon. The smoke is mostly gone but so is the blue sky. The rain has come but it's just sort of drippy. We'll take it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you made the best of it. Hope the breeze comes up and brings in some fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard about your bad air quality from several bloggers and from a friend here in Hawaii whose son and family who live in Seattle. I sure hope it clears up soon. I'm glad you were able to enjoy a day hiking anyway. The luncheon with Melanie sounded perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope the smoke has cleared! Glad you got to hike!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well that's not good for the lungs, no matter. I heard about your air quality on our local news. Of course, the media uses scare tactics when reporting. Those garlic fries? If they were that strong in garlic, I think I'd pass.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.