Thursday, January 20, 2022

Stimpson Family Nature Reserve

Taken along the trail

Melanie and I decided today to take a short but beautiful trip into the Stimpson Family Nature Reserve. I have never been here on the Reserve when it wasn't raining, but today the rain (which fell all night long) stopped just before we arrived. The reason we come here in the rain is because it's pretty much tree covered and very pretty even when things are very wet. From the above link:

The Stimpson Family Nature Reserve and Geneva Pond is 370 acres of forested land and wetland habitats protected by the Whatcom Land Trust and the Bellingham Parks and Recreation Department. The protected property, located in the Lake Whatcom Watershed between the Sudden Valley Subdivision and the Geneva neighborhood of Bellingham, includes sandstone ridges and cliffs with small wetlands and ponds throughout the space.  

Sun's rays shining through

Because of all the rain last night, there was a great deal of moisture in the air, and once the sun came out, we saw lovely scenes like the one above. It was harder to capture the rays than I thought it would be, because the sunlight came and went faster than I was capable of dealing with. This is just one of several attempts, but it's a pretty good one, I think.

Geneva Pond

When we made it to Geneva Pond, this reflection picture shows why we had so many clouds: there were more of them than we had sunshine. It was definitely hit-and-miss if you weren't quick with the camera. 

Mel took this of me at the pond

But we didn't come here for the sunshine, really. We just wanted to be amidst the magic of the forest, and we had plenty of that. We walked somewhere around five miles, more or less, before finishing up around noon, with a measly 550 feet of elevation gain and loss. I didn't want to try anything harder with my back still healing up, and I didn't have to deal with too much discomfort. I figure by Saturday I should be up for something a little longer.

Lots of moss and ferns, too

I am so fortunate that Melanie is willing to adjust her hikes to accommodate me. She's definitely capable of going much farther and faster than I can manage for the moment, but she seems happy to be out and about with me anyway. Fortunately, she's got other people to hike with on other days that can give her more of a workout.

Now that I am home and writing this post, all the sunshine has completely retreated, and it even looks like it might rain a bit more. I should sleep well tonight, though, having gotten in a good hike with a good friend! Thanks, Mel!

:-)

19 comments:

  1. Even in the sub it Looks very green, very lush ... very Jurassic Park!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smiled at your mere 550 feet of elevation today. I believe the highest point on this island is only 650.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks so magical! Did you see any elves or hobbits? Seems like they'd pop out at any spot. Linda in flat Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good that some of these natural areas have been preserved . You certainly make very good use of the.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great that you have such a good friend to be with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks truly beautiful.
    Hooray for Mel - and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great photos. I have been in similar woods when I was traveling many years ago and I do so want to get back to those emerald mossy mansions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the cloud reflection on the pond. Agree with Tom. Looks like a step way back in time. Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds and looks absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such wonderful pictures from a magical hike! Thank you for sharing these!!! Sending hugs!!! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see that this was on Thursday and I'm reading it on Friday. I do envy your walks in the woods. We're looking at the chance for much more sun today. We didn't go to our Friday morning breakfast since I am in lockdown and Tom has to be too, so I cooked breakfast instead. Then I decided it was so much better to have someone cook it, bring it to you, and then take away the dirty dishes. I'll stick to cereal or a boiled egg from now on until I can go back to our restaurant.
    I'm going outside now to try to be useful in the yard. We just had 5 yards of compost delivered.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I could actually feel the "soggy in the air" in those first couple photos. I was surprised to see so much green, I guess your snow is all gone? As always, loved the nature photos and am very glad to read your back is healing DJan. I've been thinking about you this week, and appreciated your own comments on my covid blog. Anyway, are you really explaining why you could only do 5 miles in this hike??

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so great when families decide to protect land they own. I've worked with land trusts quite a bit here in Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful that it is a Land Trust to be enjoyed by many people! I enjoy seeing the green!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The shot of the sun’s rays shining through is just spectacular. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love seeing your beautiful smile, DJan. What beautiful scenery all around you. Melanie is such a good friend to go walking with.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It does look like a magical forest.
    You are so lucky to have such a good friend. :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.