Monday, August 9, 2021

Searching for spirituality

Another Rita Eberle-Wessner


This serene landscape is taken by one of my favorite artists. She entitled it "Cathedral" and you can see why. To me, this picture gives me a chance to walk into a forest cathedral and reflect on all the surrounding beauty. I do get a chance to see places like this in my frequent walks, but I also know I can visit at any time by gazing at Rita's work whenever I want.

I have recently been studying Tibetan Buddhism a little, mostly because of having stumbled upon a series of four books by David Michie, who writes stories about Buddhist philosophy from the point of view of The Dalai Lama's Cat. I have been interested in and have followed various spiritual paths during my long life, and I seem to keep returning to the tenets of Buddhism. Several years ago (around six) I took up yoga once again, after having practiced it in my twenties. It's completely different, looking at the philosophy after having enjoyed almost eight decades of life.

Once long ago, I lived in a commune in Sacramento. I had just divorced my third husband and my son had gone to live with his father in Michigan. This left me completely without any obligations, and since I had saved a little money, I quit my job and became a, well, a hippie. There were around twenty people living together in this commune, in a huge old mansion that had seen better days. In the basement there was a very large ballroom, and a couple times a week, Sufi dancing was practiced there. I got involved in studying Buddhism at that time, and I went to various retreats and gatherings with friends to learn more.

One day, I went with some friends to hear an Indian female sage, I think she was a nun. She spoke no English and had an interpreter with her. We all gathered in the large room, which held maybe a hundred people comfortably, crossed our legs and settled in to hear what she had to impart. I remember nothing of her message, but she did ask us to join in an experiment with her: she asked us to meditate using a particular mantra and listen to what emerged in our consciousness.

After a few minutes, I began to feel a warmth spreading in my forehead, where the fabled Third Eye is located, and it caused me to lose all track of time as I sat in a very blissful state. I can still remember the feeling, but I don't remember anything else about that day. It's never happened to me since, although for years I did meditate every day.

It does make me wonder if there really is anything to all those ancient spiritual teachings. I have been away from even thinking about such things for decades, but I can feel something beginning to reawaken within my spirit. Have you ever experienced anything like that yourself?

:-)

19 comments:

  1. I haven't, but my niece has told me much of her experiences. She went as far as traveling many areas across the globe.

    I find it all so very fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the closest I may have come to that is the deep feeling of joy I have sometimes experienced while walking in a forest cathedral like the one in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a gorgeous photo and it does, indeed, remind me of a cathedral as well. The path invites the viewer to come into a place of beauty and peacefulness.

    I have never experienced that deep feeling of bliss as you described. It sounds like it was something quite relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not studied religions other than christianity and that very little so I'm not a good candidate to answer about spiritual happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in a deep state of bliss one time in the hospital and the drugs were very good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't - but relish and seek out the peace and the beauty of forest/natural cathedrals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had what I call 'moments' where I have felt a great spiritual connection to life (hard to explain actually). They don't happen often but the memory of them stays with me... a feeling of deep peace and inner joy... and a freedom that is beyond anything I've ever known (sounds weird I know and isn't something you usually talk about).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had similar experiences as Rian - when I was the mother of young children, when my mother passed, and in moments at the refugee camp. I think they can happen to any person who lives in the moment, even if just for a moment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cathedrals without walls are places I experience spiritual moments. In the green glow, where one is a tiny part of nature is where I feel most at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I had but sadly haven't--yet. There is always hope. It sounds like a wonderful place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not me. Did you happen to consumer anything before or during?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Moments of peace when surrounded by natural beauty such as being in the Himalayas. I spent a couple of months in Nepal and was impressed by the Buddhists way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In the last six months I have been reminded of two sets of women I know of living monastic life. One, a wealthy San Francisco socialite, gave it all up at 61, after being widowed, and moved to a convent back east. Thirty years later I read of her death and it brought back the story of her giving up her glamorous life for that of a nun. She was very happy to do so. The other women I think of live closer to us, at a Greek monastery in the hills east of Fresno. I have visited there twice and find it beautiful and curious. These women pray around the clock for the world and also build beautiful buildings on the site and farm the land. They entertain guests occasionally but the guests may in no way interfere with their life. I keep thinking of the life of both of these women and wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not with Buddhism, but certainly with spiritually.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can only say so in nature. Organized religion and I are not on speaking terms.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear DJan and Friends, am very blessed to live in an area where there remains two or three Bible churches within a few miles from here. Unfortunately, Scripture-centered churches are rare - and getting more so, as more people are deciding to make it (spirItuality) up as they go along ... the broad road, that leads to ... yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a beautiful picture.

    As for spirituality, I went to an Episcopalian church on Sundays because my father was the son of a reverend, though my mother was Buddhist. I loved the Christian "mantras" such as "for God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son...." and the Bible stories we learned.

    However, in college, I started to question my Christian faith and was drawn to Buddhism - not as a religion but as a way of life. Rather than depending on God and Christ exclusively, I needed to become a better person because I was part of that universal universe. The Dalai Lama put it simply as "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."

    I don't go to services, Buddhist or Christian, though I respect and believe in both. My ideal church would be one that combined the 2 philosophies.

    Another quote that I found and loved is by Shelly Wilson. "I am a spiritual being having a human life experience."

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't experienced quite that same feeling, but do feel a calm. I am a Buddhist and like Honolulu Aunty as a way of life. My Buddhist priest grandfather told me that it's not the religion, but how a person uses that religion that makes that the best one to believe in. And so... I'm a Buddhist.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.