Monday, August 16, 2021

Promising a rose garden

Cornwall Park roses #1

Today I walked through the Cornwall Park Rose Garden again.  I don't want to think about anything at this time but beautiful roses and intend to forget about the news. It's all too grim to even contemplate, but roses always make me smile. I might also try to find a funny cartoon that will make you laugh, but I do hope the roses will do their thing.

Cornwall Park roses #2


After having walked to the bus stop this morning and going, as usual, to the coffee shop, John and I enjoyed some conversation among the hubbub of the people, which seemed a bit more raucous and noisy that usual. Maybe it was just me, with my nerves jangling from me trying to have kept up with the, well, you know.

I am on Day 5 of a months-long journey to get rid of my excess poundage. At least that's what the projection is, losing a half-pound a week, trying to lose seven pounds. It may not sound like much, but for someone as short as me, it's significant. And the pandemic slowdown didn't help much. I have to keep on top of things or it will become even harder to deal with. So far, according to the scales, I'm ahead, but I also know from previous attempts to lose weight, I always find the first few days to be the easiest to see a difference on the scales. It astounds me how little food it takes to accrue my meager 1,200 daily calories. It sounds like a lot in theory, but in practice, not so much. 

Cornwall Park rose #3

It helps me to have something else to focus on, rather than the news of the day. Now it's time for me to find a funny cartoon to share. Here goes:

Snagged from the internet

Have a great day, folks! Keep smiling!

:-)

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful roses! I watched some news this morning...people have to learn to stand up for themselves. We cannot babysit them endlessly. Escape ha! Really warm here today, I am done outside until evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glorious roses. I’m with the Mrs., escape doesn’t work. I feel devastated for women and girl in Afghanistan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the roses - and the cartoon. Many thanks. Many, many thanks. I needed these distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stop the world, I wanna get off!!! With the depressing news I seem to think that all too often. (I think that quote comes from a movie, not sure)

    Roses are beautiful. Weight loss is challenging to be sure; good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the roses, DJan. I love them too and wish I could still smell them. I know what you mean about trying to keep upbeat with everything going on around us. I can't imagine you needing to lose weight. You always looks so slim. As we get older they do say having a few extra pounds can be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could almost smell the roses--a favorite. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was an escape button that worked. Love Maxine, she makes me laugh. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DJan, I find that I usually stay within 5-7 lbs - sometimes up and sometimes down. As long as it goes no further either way, I'm OK with it. But how clothes fit affects me more. I do like to be comfortable... so if things get a bit tight, that's my cue.
    The world does seem to be going in the wrong direction - on so many levels. But all we can do is hang in there. And what's that song?... something about "... just light one little candle"? Perhaps that's all it takes, each of us to light just one little candle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been trying to lose weight (or at least inches) too, a common problem for paraplegics. When you have no big muscle movement it's hard, but I am actually making a little progress by eating almost nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roses are so photogenic.
    I spent more time than usual reading the paper yesterday and today. I have a better understanding of what has happened in Afghanistan over the last 20 years and why what is happening now is occurring. I am very worried for the women and girls and for those who were our allies that might not be able to get out.
    Then there was the whole page of world disasters - fires, floods and earthquakes. I raised up a thank you to the powers that be for our safe and comfortable life here, at least so far. I'll be making donations to try to sooth my soul.
    But I also petted my borrowed cat, who walked to get the paper with me this morning and returned for lunch on the patio and got a few licks of my yogurt - on his own plate. :-) I picked flowers and Charlie/Mewdini drank out of my flower vase before I could get to away to put the flowers in. The air coming in through my open window here as I type is cool and clear.
    We count our blessings and smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great day and good luck for losing the pounds. It's hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The roses are beautiful. I admire your resolve to lose weight. With a broken foot there can be no exercise for a while and I am concerned about my weight and my lack of self control when it comes to food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The roses are gorgeous.
    The news is depressing.
    Smell the roses. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Different people tolerate different amounts of excess poundage. Most of us would not be bothered by 7 pounds, but I am sure that's what makes you so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are so fortunate to be where we are today. Even our worst days are bearable because we know they will get better. Hope you reach your weight and health goals sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful Roses, and I bet they smell divine :)
    Good luck with your dieting, it's always a struggle, especially when there is a man around the house, who insists on meat and potatoes !
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. The roses are beautiful! I agree with you: The news of the day are quite grim.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.