Monday, August 24, 2020

Fall is just around the corner

Leaves are beginning to turn
On Saturday, my friend Melanie, along with Dianne and her dog Joe, went to Hovander Homestead Park in Ferndale, just a few miles north of Bellingham, to enjoy a nice walk in the sunshine. I noticed this tree, which is beginning to change colors, a preview of what we'll be seeing everywhere before long. September and Labor Day are less than two weeks away. Time is flying by so quickly, but I am really blessed to have close friends to share these walks with me. We wore our masks and socially distanced from each other and people we encountered along the way.
Dahlias still wet from a morning shower
The farm has a lovely dahlia garden, a late summer flower that comes in many different flavors and colors. I loved seeing them and watching the enthusiastic bees that swarmed around us. And concentrated on the task at hand.
Another variety of dahlia
Although the flowers that open up and point their petals are my favorite, I also enjoy this variety as well. They remind me of pretty carnival balloons. After strolling through the gardens, we resumed our walk, which was just right for the morning: a cool breeze kept us from getting too warm, and the flat terrain didn't wear me out, as I might have felt in full sun on a hilly slope. We stopped to sample wild blackberries along the trail.
Smiling Joe
Joe is such a good dog. I asked him to let me take a picture of him, and he sat politely and accommodated me. He got to take a dip in the Nooksack River and his fur curled up to make him look even more adorable.

Today I'll spend some time in the garden removing the dead snap pea detritus, so that Carter, our communal gardener extraordinaire, can plant something for the fall harvest. My guy, SG, is doing very well as he continues his rapid recovery. Today my day is full of activity, and I'm glad to be entering my very favorite time of the year: fall.
:-)

20 comments:

  1. Fall is just around the corner? Say it isn't so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn is a glorious time of year isn't it? I adore the aboreal fireworks.
    We are now firmly in Sprinter, the season between winter and spring.
    Thanks for the update on SG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear DJanity, such lovely pictures. While enjoying summer warmth, looking forward to fall. i miss baking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news about SG. Cooler days ahead here too. Much to my preference as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After over three weeks of 100+ temps every day in Tucson, I am ready for the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also saw a tree with a red crown today, not as much change as yours, but ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although you love fall, I am happy to report that my calendar says was have almost another month of summer, and I will take every day of summer I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leaves turning all ready? Come on Fall, I am ready but we have a way to go yet. It hit 100 yesterday.
    So glad SG is still doing to well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fall is creeping up om us much faster than we think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joe looks like a nice dog! I like seeing the Dahlias! They are so beautiful! It is good to here Smart Guy is doing well too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bravo there is a sense of positivity back. Buddy loves all seasons as each has merits he loves. We got to have our first swim of 2020 last week and it felt great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear SG is doing well. I'm not quite ready for Autumn yet but I have noticed some leaves are turning. Dahlias are a riot of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fall signs already! My favorite time of year, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad for a positive update on your husband! I think about you both, often. Those flowers are gorgeous. and working in the garden, preparing for a Fall harvest sounds good to me...Autumn can't get here soon enough! (oh, and Joe is such a handsome fellow)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, that dog is adorable. So well behaved and he has a beautiful coat. Almost makes me want to adopt a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad that his stroke was mild and recovery is underway. It sounds like you're enjoying the beauty of nature even more now that it is fleeting. Our neighbor has pumpkins already!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all the seasons for different reasons, but fall is probably my favorite by a whisker. I'm seeing many leaves changing color already too, even to red! Dahlias are one of my favorite flowers because of their variety of colors and their intricate petals.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear DJan, for several days I've been unable to read blogs and so today I've returned here and found that your husband has been ill. I hope that when I read your other blog, I'll learn what had been happening. I'm so glad that you are able to continue your walking and exploring. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear that your hubby is improving and regaining strength. That is indeed good news. Keep cheering him on as your readers are doing from a distance.

    Your autumn is coming much sooner than ours, but I know it's coming. The light has shifted and some leaves are turning. It will be late October, though, before our trees look like the one in your photo. Enjoy your lengthy autumn while we still have 100 degree summer days.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.