Thursday, January 30, 2020

Back to the Chuckanuts

Pretty waterfall on the Two Dollar trail
Eleven Senior Trailblazers met at the Senior Center to start our usual Thursday hike, with the chance of a break in the constant rain we've had all week long. And sure enough, we didn't have any, for a change. It's expected to start again this afternoon, but we were fortunate to stay dry. But we were ready, just in case.
Fragrance Lake reflections
We had planned to start from Gates Overlook and hike down the Rock trail to Raptor Ridge and back again, but the gate on Cleator Road that would have taken us to the overlook was closed, right at the beginning of the Two Dollar trail, which is becoming very familiar to us this winter. So, instead of Raptor Ridge, we hiked up the almost two-mile-long trail to Fragrance Lake, then over to the closed road. The weather was mild and there was no wind, as you can see from this picture.

From there, we had several choices: some wanted to take the shortest route to Gates Overlook, but that meant hiking up the steep Chinscraper trail. Others wanted to extend the hike a bit and follow the road downward to a trail that would take them to the Upper Ridge trail, which leads to the overlook but is more scenic (and longer) than the road. Then there was the option of just trekking up the closed road to the overlook. We ended up breaking up into three groups: five up Chinscraper, four to the Upper Ridge trail, and two trudging almost a mile to the overlook. I was one of the two.
Mt. Baker and the Sisters
From the road, you get a lovely view of the mountains, so I thought maybe I could get a view through the trees, and here it is. You can see that the clouds were clearing a bit, which surprised me, in a good way. Maybe we'd even see the sun.
The view from Gates Overlook
Once we all gathered together again at the overlook, most of us decided to have an early lunch and decide what to do next. We could just retrace our steps or hike down the Rock trail to the Lost Lake trail and then back to Fragrance Lake and the Two Dollar trail. So that's what we decided to do, even if it would make the hike a little longer.
Lost Lake trail with a little sun
And lo and behold, on our way back, we saw bits of sunshine peeking through the trees. It was a lovely treat to see that yellow light instead of unremitting rain. It was fleeting, but very welcome indeed. By the time we got back down, we had covered around nine miles; some almost ten, those who did the Upper Ridge trail. Our elevation gain and loss was around 2,000 feet.

I am tired now, but not overly so. It was much prettier and easier on our bodies than last week's ten-mile hike on the hard trails in town. I heard stories about unaccustomed blisters, and I know my bunion pained me for days afterwards. Hiking in our lovely forests was much more to my liking, especially with none of the "R" word!
:-)

17 comments:

  1. Love that reflection shot. As always, many, many thanks for taking me along (albeit with my butt glued to a chair).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised at how dry it stayed all day. It was a gift for you and your hiking buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed at how many choices you have to get to the same place. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a terrific outing with many amenities, including the yellow ball!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ten miles is very long to me. But, hey, your bunion didn't hurt, and it didn't rain, so everything went well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like for this rainy time of year you couldn't have had better weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure was pretty and dry yet. How cool is that. Always a bit amazed at the miles you cover and am delighted there were no unwelcome side effects this time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad the clouds parted for you and we got to see some of the gorgeous views.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always amazed at the lack of snow. You’d only need a few degrees lower to have a pile of it according to all the rain you get. It looks like a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mount Baker and the Sisters are a breathtaking sight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah for a bit of sunshine! That view is totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It never fails to amaze me how much you love to be physically super active. Glad that you had a pleasant time with no rain. We are rather lazy at out end. Too slippery to walk much but soon it will pass and we can go out more. Buddy has arthritis in his right knee that we are currently trying ti make more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes and with a bit of sunshine I'm reminded by your comment and the weather today that January in Minnesota saw seven days of that wonderful observation. So little so late all awfully depressing but for me both my knees are doing much better and in spite of the gloomy weather I'm looking forward to my new normal which will begin this spring with long walks with me and Lily a vacation trip to Virginia the summer to view Civil War sites and then best of all another vacation trip this time to Churchill Alaska where I will be using my new camera to revitalize my nature blog by taking up close and personal photos of the local polar bears. Life moves on and I'm hoping to be able to thrive without my beloved Barb

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like you picked the right route after splitting up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is an awesome hike and I do love your reflection shot.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.