Thursday, January 2, 2020

Alger Alp 2020

Squires Lake
Thirteen Senior Trailblazers gathered at the trailhead to make our way up to Alger Alp, one of our usual wintertime hikes. It's not one of my favorite ones, because much of it is on logging roads, and once we leave Squires Lake, we just continue up until we get to a fairly nice viewpoint overlooking the interstate. It's not very long (which is a good thing when you're hiking in the rain), and the forecast was for it to get wetter as the day progressed.
Dressed for the weather
It was a little on the soggy side, but compared to what we might have faced, it was definitely good to be out and about anyway. We had some light sprinkles most of the time, but it has been raining around here for days, as you can see by the saturated ground. As we ascended to the viewpoint, the rain pretty much stopped, so we decided to have our lunch there.
The viewpoint without much view
While I was trying to figure out what to write about, I went back and revisited all of our previous trips to this spot. Most were wet (which I kind of remember) and a few times we even went back to the Senior Center for lunch. Today it was mild and the rain held off while we ate.
Packing up before heading back down
I was surprised to see how many of my posts about this hike were almost interchangeable with today's experience. One of the best parts about having a blog that continues for many years is providing the ability to revisit and compare from one year to the next. The temperature in previous years was cold enough to freeze Squires Lake, but today it was mild, giving us a chance to stay warm and comfy when we were walking. Nobody complained about the weather.

We were home early, and as I look outside at the constant drip, drip, drip coming off the trees, I'm glad we shortened our return to the cars. We only hiked around five miles or so, up and down maybe 1,000 feet, but it was enough. It was much better than staying indoors all day, and it makes me so happy to have a nice warm and dry place to enjoy the rest of this early January day.
:-)

13 comments:

  1. Maybe on the soggy side, but produced some nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you and your crew for starting the new year out right. You are all intrepid hikers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think after we've been out for a while we appreciate the indoors much more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful.
    Mind you, if we had rain at the moment, I think a lot of us would be happy dancing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My oh my, that 1st photo is just beautiful! 5 miles is good even tho y'all normally do more...great to have you post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I would have preferred to stay home and listen to music. Haha. But, I appreciate seeing your photos and the nice camaraderie you have with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your group makes the most out of days many of us would trash. And yes, blogs are great for peeking back into the past for not only weather but attitudes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Five miles sounds great to me. I am thrilled with five kilometres.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great hike for the blog history! Hope you will have a good weekend! No snow today but no sun either...I shoveled a bunch of snow... paths to the bird feeders and the garage. Finally I am all caught up with snow removal for today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely better than staying inside!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how fit you are. I’m always amazed at your hikes. I’ve had my blog now for almost 12 years and I have found that I’ve forgotten what I’ve written already and have repeated myself. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even if the viewpoint's misty, it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.