Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Wellness visit and more

Banana slug enjoying a meal
Last Saturday during our wet walk, I saw these oyster mushrooms on a log, but that slimy critter, the banana slug, wasn't there. My friend Cindy took this picture and posted it on Facebook. I know there are at least two different kinds of slugs in our area, and this one is native and prized above the black ones that were brought here from elsewhere. Someone once told me they come from France, but if so, I haven't heard any speaking with an accent. This banana slug is certainly looking well fed and very happy.

This morning I had my wellness checkup with my doctor, and I came out of the exam feeling pretty darn good. She said my numbers are all just fine, and that considering my age, I should be patting myself on the back because of my continuing good health and determination to exercise and stay active.

There are two things I am supposed to do in the near future: a colonoscopy (oh joy) and a bone density test. At least the bone density test is painless. Not so much the other, but what the heck, it should be my last. So I'll just get 'er done. Have you had one recently? I don't have good memories of my last one, but my doctor told me they are better and even the prep is easier these days.

My cholesterol is good, but my HDL (the good stuff) had declined a bit. She just said that the number is still fine, but now my sister's is higher than mine. What, who says I'm competitive?
:-)

16 comments:

  1. I am not in the slightest bit surprised that your numbers are fine. And chuckling at your competive nature.
    I haven't (yet) had a colonoscopy. I hope yours goes well. I haven't had a bone density test either - haven't been referred for either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your checkup and great numbers. It must give you a sense of pride and security.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My last colonoscopy was only a couple of years ago, so I'm good for a while yet. I go in for a mammogram in Thursday.
    Glad to hear you got a good report.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No recent colonoscopy here. Oh dear.

    Great photo. The slug is looking well fed indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the new poop in the mail test--LOL! Haven't had a colonoscopy.

    Those banana slugs are a bit on the creepy side. A bit alien monsterish--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As long as the LDL is low, that is the main thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank your lucky stars that you so healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband just had his - the anesthesia is MUCH better. When he came out of it there was no grogginess. Good job on those numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the good numbers. As much weight bearing exercise as you get, your bone density should be awesome.
    Think your doctor might be whitewashing the prep being easier:)) Still, it is a good way to get cleaned out. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! My numbers were borderline in many areas. Sigh... I'm not as good as you are. Actually, I thought my colonoscopy prep was easier this time. Maybe it was a fluke, but I didn't mind it much.

    As for those slugs, do you know someone actually ate one after a dare on the Big Island? Sheesh! He then apparently contracted rat lung disease. NOT a good thing. Very scary. Why oh why would anybody eat a slug?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The prep was easier. Just eat very lightly for the couple of days before you take the stuff to clean you out. I don't need another one for 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had one in 2012.... don't need another until 2022 (if I ever get another). The prep is awful for me as it all contains some form of artificial sugar which makes me feel deathly ill. Was scheduled to get a bone density this year, but put it off. I'm sure you are in good health... and congrats on the good wellness check!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! I think the worst part of a colonoscopy would be not eating for a day. No dessert! Ugh. But, I know I need one too. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.