Tuesday, September 19, 2017

I enjoyed the Emmys

Nicole Kidman at the Emmys
I tend to watch most of the awards shows, although I've never gotten into Dancing With the Stars or that sort of thing. Mostly I like to look at the outfits the celebrities wear. Nicole Kidman's was my favorite of all that I saw this year. What do you think?

And I was so pleased that The Handmaid's Tale did so well! It won Best Drama, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress as well as awards for directing, guest actress, and writing. I had to sign up for Hulu just so I could watch it, and I'm glad I did, although I've not watched anything more on Hulu. The next season will continue where the book left off, so I'm hooked.

Plus I discovered another very interesting show while watching; Black Mirror, which I had seen advertised on Netflix but skipped because I thought it was a horror show. Well, in some ways it is: the "black mirror" in the title refers to our TVs, smartphones and tablets. The creator, Charlie Brooker, explained to The Guardian about the series:
If technology is a drug – and it does feel like a drug – then what, precisely, are the side effects? This area – between delight and discomfort – is where Black Mirror, my new drama series, is set. The 'black mirror' of the title is the one you'll find on every wall, on every desk, in the palm of every hand: the cold, shiny screen of a TV, a monitor, a smartphone.
Each episode stands alone, with its own actors and stories. It's similar to the old Twilight Zone, which I loved and watched many times. So far, I've watched two episodes and they are indeed very different from each other, both rather shocking. I'm hooked.
:-)

10 comments:

  1. I'm about to watch the Red Carpets RIGHT NOW. I taped the show but decided to not watch it (or maybe I'll just buzz through commercials and acceptance speeches)...because I'm OD'd on politics. Even the liberal leaning ones that mimic my own feelings.

    We watched one episode of Black Mirrors-about the British Prime Minister. Not sure why none others. We don't have Hulu, though I'm tempted to get HBO for Little Big Lies. Glad you enjoyed it! I'll probably post about red carpet dresses, if I get inspired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch awards shows any more. I see the fashions on-line the next day. I will chevk out the Black Mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't watch awards. Or really care about the fashions.
    Black Mirror does sound interesting. And technology is most definitely a drug. A highly addictive one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kidman is always a class act. We saw several episode of Black Mirror. Very eerie and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole always looks glamorous and tasteful at these award shows and premieres.
    Haven't got Hulu, but hope I will be able to see The Handmaid's Tale elsewhere eventually. Must be really good! I have watched Black Mirror. Does remind me of the old Twilight Zone in a way and really makes you think, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought of you when The Handmaiden's Tale won. I know it is a favorite of yours. Don't have Hulu nor Netflix though the Black Mirror sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't watch awards shows - or much of anything on regular tv. I do ADORE Nicole Kidman's dress though.

    Thanks for the Netflix recommendation - I'm currently going between Big Love and Call the Mid-wife and am really enjoying both. I'll look for Black Mirror next.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love her dress, she is a beauty and so tall! I missed the show and I also missed Miss America where Miss ND won! Guess I am in la la land lately:( I have told Far Guy about the black mirror now. Years ago I saw a movie called the Handmaids Tale...this one must be an new remake:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched the Ken Burns documentary on Vietnam instead. But thanks for the tip ... now I'm gonna track down Black Mirror on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is definitely a gorgeous dress/gown to be sure. And she is one of my favorites!!

    The program sounds quite good...I always enjoyed [at least MOST of them] episodes of Twilight Zone.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.