Tuesday, April 19, 2016

News from my corner of the world

Lilacs and sky in Bellingham today
I didn't write a post on my other blog on Sunday because I could actually hardly wrap my head around just a few words, I was so sick. Saturday morning everything seemed normal, with just a twinge of a tummy ache bothering me slightly. I wrote the previous post on here after I got home around 11:00am. Well, from that moment until early Monday morning I was so miserable all I could do is stay in bed and try to sleep. Chills and fever of 101F, headache and body aches, and worst of all, vomiting. I could keep nothing down for two days, including water. As of Sunday night, my fever had not broken when I went to sleep.

But when I woke Monday, it was all behind me. Fever gone, everything seeming normal except for residual weakness and a slight queasiness, which is still here on Tuesday. But I'm so much better it seems like roaring health by comparison. So I gave myself permission to go out into the beautiful warm sunny day and walk carefully to the bus stop. Once I got to the coffee shop, I didn't even want any coffee but I had a really nice half-strength latte anyway. It stayed down, I was fine, but working out didn't seem like a good idea, so I strolled around for awhile and headed back home.

What was really interesting is how much my knee improved after staying off it for two days. People had been telling me to take it easy and to stay off it. Now how do you do that unless you're flat on your back? Which I was, and it made a difference. I am walking much better but still injured. I've got a doctor's appointment on Friday, which I am looking forward to.

But there is something else that is very contagious. One of my blogging friends, Far Side of Fifty, wrote a post about spring cleaning, and I commented that I would only do it if I had a housekeeper. Well, not long after I wrote that, I had to find something from last summer and couldn't remember where I put it. After digging through drawers and pushing numerous dust bunnies aside, I caught the bug: I'm going to start with one room (the bedroom) and make a huge donation to the used clothing store, and organize my dresser drawers!
:-)

21 comments:

  1. Hey DJan! Aren't the lilacs outstanding this year?? My tree has bloomed twice what it usually does for some reason. It's been amazing!
    Sorry to hear you've been sick, and that you're having knee issues! I have complete sympathy for any and all knee pain! Something got me motivated and I have actually read a few blogs and written one, for a change! Hugs to you, and give that knee a rest once in awhile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you are better and getting out and about. As for spring cleaning, that is something I mostly do outside. In the past few weeks I have cleaned out garden beds, cleaned patio floors, washed outdoor furniture, dusted off pollen, and trimmed the carpet of lawn. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are feeling so much better. You are always ambitious- good luck with the spring cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you know? Your knee improved when you stayed off it! Who knew?

    That bug was widespread here in Tucson too. Glad you're past it.

    Flying home tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are over the flu. The leg is the next project. Take it easy on the spring cleaning. It is on my list of things to do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you've been ill! On top of sore knee too!

    Yeah, spring cleaning is addictive...once you actually work up the stamina to start. Once you do start you are ready for EVERYTHING to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good grief! Thank goodness your knees are better. I'm sorry it took a horrible sickness to make you rest. And that was a terrible flu you got. Holey smokes! Please continue taking it easy until you're at least almost 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to hear your knee is improving with rest! So now that you are over the flu bug you caught the spring cleaning bug...from me! I worked in the Dining Room today but it isn't done just yet, I got carried away reading the recipe books in the shelves:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful lilacs! Ours started coming out during a warm spell in March, then got frostbitten by an April cold snap. Don't know if we'll see any flowers this year. Sorry about your terrible tummyache but glad to hear your knee is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible Lilacs! But you're not going to get my sympathy if you start spring cleaning! Someone around here was mentioning spring chores, and I'm trying to ignore it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good that you're over the darn stomach flu with a surprise benefit of an improved knee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh....being sick is the worst. Glad you're well on the road to recovery. At least your knee got to heal during the downtime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The universe was conspiring to keep you in bed. Uff da. It sounds like you were really down and out. I did a post a long time ago, where I put ears on a ball of cat fur and called it a dust bunny. I still get visits to that post "101 things to do with cat fur" Ha! Spring cleaning indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am delighted you are feeling so much better. Looks like the only way to make you stay off that knee was to smite you down with a nasty bug. Dang girl, don't be so stubborn:)
    What a nasty virus you had. Sounds like the dreaded Norovirus.
    One of the classic signs you are feeling better is the urge to clean house. Hallelujah.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, what a glorious photo of lilacs agaist the blue sky. You didn't have food poisoning, did you? I was horribly sick with similar symptoms several years ago while we were traveling. Afterwards, I lost a lot of weight because I just had no appetite. Hope the DR says your knee just needs rest and PT. Enjoy your spring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad you have recovered from the flu. I wonder how you caught the virus? But, the good thing about lying in bed is that your knee improved.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, they told you to rest that knee--LOL! Glad you are over the flu, but take it easy and rest that knee, regardless. Watch how you twist and bend while you are suffering from the spring cleaning bug. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to read you're on the mend. It sounds a lot like what I encountered...I hate being so laid back that I feel useless.

    Spring cleaning...I know it's cliché...but when you're done with YOURS, you know where to find me and my clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry to hear you were so unwell but if you are thinking of Spring cleaning then I guess you are more or less back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  20. maybe the flu bug was a blessing to your knee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Not good but good you made a fast recovery..:)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.