Saturday, September 26, 2015

A beautiful fall day

Connie and Carol on the Lake Padden trail
We ladies usually spend one Saturday walk at Lake Padden, because it's a known quantity. We take two loops, just over 2.6 miles once around. One direction is considered harder than the other, because for some reason the hills seems steeper (that's not possible, but perception is everything). Today we went around the "harder" way first, counter-clockwise, and finished with the clockwise version. I decided to use my new smartphone app today, MapMyWalk, since it's a known distance and I figured I could see if it's accurate.
A screen shot from my phone
There was a slight discrepancy, I thought, because it showed .09 miles more than it should, but Cindy, our leader, told me the actual distance really is a little more than exactly 2.6 miles. Close enough, I'd say. I was a little surprised when a female voice gave me my stats at each mile (something I can probably turn off), and when I looked at the final information, I was pleased to see I could tell how fast I covered each mile as well. Pretty cool!
Fall feast
Then I headed over to the Farmers' Market, which goes almost year round here, closing up for the season on the last Saturday before Christmas. I will enjoy purchasing the fall produce, since my garden has been put to bed for the season. A couple of years ago I grew some delicata squash myself (the yellow ones with the dark green stripes), but I found that for whatever reason mine weren't as succulent as the ones from the market. So I happily fork over my dollars for a chance to eat these instead. I am very aware that I live in a wonderful part of this beautiful country and wish everyone had such bounty available to them. Virtual hugs all around; there's plenty of those!
:-)

14 comments:

  1. glad the app seems to work well (if you can shush her). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think walking is one of the best exercises there is. That's a very colorful table of veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun app. I might have to find one for my Android. Your farmers' market looks nice and autumnish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a colorful market and a perfect exclamation point at the end of your trek around the lake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your markets. And would be a regular.
    Yay for walking - and you are right some directions ARE longer than others. Despite logic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really must try and see if i can get that app on my phone. It looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. New technology happens so frequently these days.
    And I love your colorful bounty, which looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fall produce is especially beautiful.
    I'll have to look into that phone ap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are quite tech-app-savvy. :)
    You have just the most wonderful markets there. Everything looks so healthy and delicious. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness, there really is a app for everything. That market scene looks wonderful. Fall produce has the best colors---and tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love squash, but my hubby doesn't so we don't eat it as much as I'd like. Gee those phone apps are amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That app sounds like a keeper. I can think of lots of uses.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.