Saturday, February 8, 2014

Today is the Celebration of Life

Pictures from the Family Dinner
Last night we got together for a family dinner of those who have gathered from near and far to celebrate my sister PJ's life. Stewart, PJ's husband, is the lone person in the red cap. He asked for us to congregate and last night told us that, to him, this dinner is the most important way he wished to remember PJ and her family.

The two people in the upper left are PJ's son Joseph and his wife Stephanie. Below them is her other son Jason with wife Golda, and two sets of twins, Isaac and Levi, and Annebelle and Jonah. PJ was inordinately fond of her four beautiful grandchildren. I get to see their progress on Facebook. In the lower right are the surviving sisters, Norma Jean, me, Markee, and Fia (with Stewart in the background). In the upper right are PJ's brother Buz and his wife Phyllis. (Norma Jean and I are staying with them.)

There were others who were present, of course, but I wanted to share with you PJ's closest family. She was a teller of jokes, and I'm sure today we will share some of our favorite moments with her. I keep being distracted as I'm listening to Buz and Norma Jean sharing with each other some of their favorite stories about PJ. She added a certain level of levity to our family gatherings, and she could always be counted on to pull out some kind of game for us to enjoy. Many times I was reluctant to play, but when I did it was always fun.

It's the best thing of all to be with family, isn't it?
:-)

26 comments:

  1. Warmest hugs to you and to your family, Jan....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a great family gathering last nightQ

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your last sentence said it all and sent chills and then warmth up my spine. :) bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family....what makes the world go 'round!!

    You're all in my heart and mind.

    Hootin' Anni
    and
    Anni @ I'd Rather B Birdin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes it is...i am glad you have this time together...to celebrate, to mourn....i hope the good stories are better than others....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great celebration of your sister's life. It's always nice to get together with one's siblings, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s nice that y’all can get together and reminisce. You have a nice warm large family and I’m sure it is a great comfort to your sister’s close kin and to you. Hugs, VB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed it is. I'm sure your sister cherished all of you for that... as you continue to treasure one another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, DJan, for sharing your family and your sister's life celebration with us. We who are your blogging family want to know these things, and experience a bit of what you are thinking a d feeling.
    As you know I have a large family too, and day to day, we can go along without giving each other much thought. But as we age, we feel that bond drawing us back together, and relish the occasions when we can be together and share childhood stories.
    There is nothing like that bond of common history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending hugs to you & the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you are enjoying a glass of wine tonight after your long day. I have been thinking of you today, I hope you felt the warm vibes:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Family provides a tremendous support at times when we suffer losses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful, this celebration. I'm sure your sister is there, enjoying it all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a wonderful way to celebrate a life - those connected by her life joined together, sharing favorite stories.



    ReplyDelete
  15. Joined together, connected in sharing and celebrating life and loss - your last words hit a home run. Thinking of you all DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! Yes, it is.
    I bet she'd be tickled if you always remembered her and laughed or smiled. :)
    Love and hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's such a nice idea- thanks for sharing your sister and her family with us. Celbrate away.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My condolences DJ. I lost a sibling this summer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No, there is nothing like family. Being together at times such as these, makes the time so bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes, DJan! It absolutely is. I'm so sorry for your sadness, but I'm glad that you're all able to celebrate the joy of PJ's life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Does that include inlaws? I'm kidding. Mine are sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear DJan, to be surrounded by caring family and freinds when someone you've all loved has stepped into the other room that lies awaiting all of us is to know the strength of commitment and love. I am so grateful that all of you are together. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is so good for you all to be together and have such good memories of your sister. Again, condolences on your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Being with family is so comforting during such times. I remember feeling so protected and safe in my little cocoon of family the week after Julie's death. I hope being together with your family made you feel similarly safe, cared for and comforted.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful way to celebrate PJ's life. Getting together with family and friends to remember all the good times is the greatest tribute of all.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My dear friend.
    I read this with one eye but just had to let you know that I feel sad for your loss. A celebration is a good way to move forward but it still takes a lot of time to heal. Thank you for allowing me into you circle of bloggers. I recall a post when you wee reflecting about your siblings and wondering how such an event might go. Now sadly a moment presented itself. Please accept my late condolences

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.