Thursday, December 6, 2012

Raindrops kept falling on our heads

Wet Trailblazers at Larrabee State Parking Lot
And kept falling on every other body part, too! On a rainy, gloomy day, nine Senior Trailblazers showed up for a hike to Lost Lake. We were hopeful that we would be having some "sunbreaks," a term you see in weather reports around here. It was not to be; in fact, we had rain the entire day. No views but only a few grumbles as we started.
On the ridge as we hiked towards the lake, Al said this spot has the best view. I couldn't help but take a picture to show you our nonexistent view. The fog and mist made it sort of pretty along here, but as we got closer to Lost Lake, the rain picked up. We were very soggy by the time we stopped for lunch.
Peggy, Rita (behind), Linda, Ward
Linda is so wet she's shiny. We were all keeping ourselves warm by not sitting down during our lunch break. After all, what was the point? Even here under the trees we couldn't stay dry, and we were quickly getting chilled, so after a quick lunch we took off again. The hike makes a loop around Lost Lake, so right after this picture was taken we finished the loop and then headed back on the previous trail.
I walked down to the water's edge to get a picture, but it is nowhere near as magical as previous ones I've taken. Plus I was wet and cold and ready to get going. By the time we returned to the parking lot, we had covered more than ten miles and more than 2,000 feet elevation gain and loss. I was plenty tired, but I wasn't alone; everyone was glad to be in a nice warm and DRY car after a rather soggy day. You just can't win 'em all, and we've been pretty lucky with the weather lately.
:-)

27 comments:

  1. i do love all the fog...goodness though on getting so wet and chilled...have to be careful of that....she is def shiny wet...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be feeling a lot better to have done that hike but I bet you were glad to get home and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just what you probably DIDN'T need after your recent illness! but there's no stopping djan! or your cohorts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the hike in the rain doesn't make you sick, my friend.
    When I taught school (years ago,) I remember teaching in my geography class that the state of Washington receives a LOT of rain (one of the rainiest places in the continental USA.)
    We need some down here. It is dry...
    Hugs and best wishes to you,
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a trooper. Your photo actually look cold AND wet. It's not fair that you didn't get a little bit of a break. Hope your next outting is perfect.
    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes a lot of determination to hike in those conditions. I've done it and you just keep on going. Once it's over you can appreciate what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you made it..you are a STRONG elderly lady:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad and glad here. Glad (so very glad) that you were feeling well enough for the hike, sad that the elements treated you unkindly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got chilled just looking at your photos! Kudos on getting out there anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mist/fog is spooky. I just love that phrase, Lost Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you guys were really brave (and more than a bit crazy!) to do the hike in that weather!!!!

    It definitely must have felt good to be warm and dry aferwards... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Didn't you buy a rain jacket last year? How did it hold up and what's the brand if it held well? Good going!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damp cold! Damn cold!

    I expect the patter of raindrops was not charming under those conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have rain jacket n pants, right. Were you soaked through or just the outside? Looks like a wild walk to me - imagine 10 miles not feeling the best. I think 20 would suit you just fine and you probably wouldn't even be out of breath. Love the photos, especially the slick hikers :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would have been chilled to the bone! I just know it. But, I'm a wuss when it comes to soggy. LOL

    As for the wine tasting. Yep, you and I would have tons of fun I'm sure. I would have liked to buy 6 bottles too, but I didn't want them in the car's trunk in case stopped by a highway patrol. And as I said, I'm gonna get online and order some more from OTHER wineries.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's not for me. Hope you don't get a relapse of the flu. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your experience, but it made me feel really good that I was warm and dry while reading about it. No offense intended.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wondering what the temp was? And wind...:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am pleased that there are so many choices in life for all the tastes in the world. Walking under so much rain does not sound like fun to me, but I know you enjoy it. So…

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought of you. I did get outside for a 35 minute walk here in the neighborhood. It was cold and windy but not very wet, and it felt good. I went out again today for a while. We'll see how long "walk outside every day" lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh DJan! As I read I just shake my head in wonder that you would even consider hiking in that downpour! I'm impressed that you do, and enjoyed the photos (which made me feel damp and chilly).

    You are a special breed, you and your amazingly willing friends! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. you better not get sick again or I'll have to lecture you!

    I love the misty pic, fog is so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  23. That does not sound fun at all, but I know you have a good attitude and can make any kind of situation fun.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We walk a couple of miles each day when it's doing no more than a light drizzle. If you've got the right clothing, you can do it.

    At least it's not too cold.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear DJan, ten miles wet or dry sounds astounding to me. Wow! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rain really does put a damper on a walk but I do love that fog photo. It's so mysterious. Stay healthy please.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love that tittle. Looking at your photos I can almost feel the droops and I can certainly hear the melody in my head.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.