Saturday, March 24, 2012

A photo safari

When I was working, my boss would often suggest we go on a "photo safari" after the day's work, in order to capture the feelings and culture of the exotic places where we traveled. I went on my own photo safari not long ago to capture the same thing here in the Pacific Northwest. I walked out the door last week to catch the bus, sun coming up, and I saw this lovely heart that the flickers had created out of suet. It was a quick capture; now the right-hand side of the heart has been consumed. But here we go on a journey of exploration!
Sitting in the back of Al's car on our way to hike the British Army Trail, I saw Lake Samish through the window and thought perhaps I might be able to capture a bit of the feeling of the day. The car was on the highway, moving at a normal speed, but the raindrops on the window stood still. Although we arrived in the rain, it stopped just in time for us to enjoy an almost rain-free trek.
At the coffee shop (Avellino's) that I frequent before heading to my exercise class, I observed little Leo playing with a slinky. I don't get to see him nearly as often as I once did, since he is now in preschool several days a week. Instead of asking me to read to him these days, he asks me to pull out my iPad and he scrolls through either mountain pictures or flower pictures. He doesn't need me to show him how to work it. He is also at the age (three) where he can either play quietly like this or be a little terror when he doesn't get his way.
Also at Avellino's, I spied my fisherman friend Gene with his new lady friend Paula. They hang out together most days, although I've learned from Gene that she isn't naturally an early morning person like he is, so when I see him without her, it's because she didn't want to be hustled out of her morning routine in order to hang out at the coffee shop.
Last Thursday when I visited the Seattle Art Museum, I took pictures of many pieces in the permanent collection, including this very interesting clock. You don't see things like this any more, with all those moving parts. Everything is digital these days. I didn't take a picture of the explanation of this clock, unfortunately, so I guess I'll have to go back and visit the museum again. Happily.
And all over the entire city, the flowers are beginning to bloom, the birds are singing earlier as the days get longer, on their way to summer. Three months of spring, my favorite time of the year. My nose is also beginning to notice that everything is blooming. Well, I hope you enjoyed our photo safari as much as I did. Until the next time, I hope you will be well.
:-)

31 comments:

  1. that is a very cool clock...its pretty amazing how well versed little kids are in technology you know...be he loves your pics though...glad you got a nearly rain free trek....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful post. Do it more often, like once a week?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't clocks endlessly fascinating! They are much like lighthouses in that it is hard to take a bad picture of one. A photo safari is a great idea. Maybe that is why I like to travel with a camera in one hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoyed it very much. the heart, the clock. and i like your fisherman friend - reminds me of several of my fully-bearded brothers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some good photo journalism here. You have great pictures and tell a good story. I like the old guy with the big white beard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Photo safari = great idea! I love the heart-shaped suet and your friends at the coffee shop, from young to not-so-young. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice way to conclude your photo safari. I like those purple blooms, DJan. I had to chuckle at that pic of Leo. My grandson, who just made 2, loves anything electronic. Yes, he is adept with moving his finger on his parents' iPad, too. Aren't kids fascinating?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great little Safari into your world..thanks!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely photo safari DJan, it made me smile :)
    Each picture tells it's own story, I think you should start the tradition of doing a safari once a week, just like Linda suggested ?
    Lovely little heart, smart little boy, refreshing raindrops, jolly fisherman, unique clock, pretty flowers !
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi DJan! Great photo safari, lots of interesting textures and images.

    I love the flowers, too, but I'm dreading the allergies when the flowing plums get blooming around here. I can hardly walk in the neighborhood without handfuls of kleenex for my eyes and nose!

    I went to the doctor, mostly to rule out strep. I don't have it, just a nasty flu bug. I'm feeling much more human tonight! But, I spent most of the day sleeping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the photo from Al's car looks like a piece of artwork...with gray paints...I love it, and the gorgeous clock. Thanks for the safari.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this. Good idea. I often think of doing photos of random things for a blog. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was fun. I like the idea of a photo safari.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paula's face fascinated me. Gene's too, but not so much as Paula's. She looks like a woman who is very content in herself and with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I loved this 'safari'....and what a great concept for a post. I may 'steal' the idea and do a safari myself soon.

    That heart shaped suet is actually quite a phenomenon.

    I think I could sit on his lap....are you sure that's not Santa?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely way to start the day - "A Photo Safari" - very much enjoyed this DJan. We were just talking about clocks the other day, when I was asked what I would like for my Birthday - I said a wind up watch - is that even possible now? Not around here anyway. I do love the photo of the clock and all its working parts. I did see a digital clock with all the moving parts which quite facinated me.
    I am sure your fisherman friend could tell some great stories around the olde camp fire.
    I asked a technical question one day and my friend said "Ask any 5 year old" :) Enough said - I think its great the knowledge children have in technology for this is what they have grown up with - ask that little fella if he has ever seen a wind up watch :)
    Every photo is its own small story and thanks for sharing your personal touch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic photos. You should do a weekly photo safari!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha, do you have a runny nose too?

    Nice photo safari. Your boss sounds like a great guy. I have heard other things in previous posts and he sounds he was encouraging and nurturing. So many bosses are not like that. You lucked out with him as a boss.

    The heart shape suet is a wonder. Wow. Never saw such a thing. Made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I especially love the shot of the lake through the window. It really captures the spirit of this place!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't really have the ambition to get out early in the morning when it is in the 50s outside. So I put on a long sleeve shirt, house slippers and look out the window.

    Clocks are fascinating. I like some of the rare, early ones, with running water filling something that drops onto something...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes I did enjoy, thank you. Very interesting trip. Leo is certainly growing fast now and getting his own personality. I wonder if Dylan will be using an Ipad when he is three year's old?
    The clock is fascinating. I'm sure you enjoyed your visit to that museum.
    Your fisherman friend seems well suited to his new ladyfriend, in looks if not in habits.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to take my kids on a photo safari. What a fun idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting concept. I need to get back to the "photo safari" routine myself...:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely love your photos. Your opening comment, however, has me intrigued. You really must share more of your "previous" life and those photos!

    Thank you so much for your encouraging words on my little historical story. They keep me going. As for the blending of fact & fiction, that is exactly what it is, smoothing the lines so it's hard to tell. This week I start working in the 50s with the third girl--Connie. The girls helped with a church canteen for soldiers in town during the war. I'm going to weave in a tale of romance for this girl.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We have green grass and buds on the trees here in Minnesota. And that is far better than snow at this time of year. That was a safe safari. No wilds to tame. But great observations DJan!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great boss to encourage such a thing. Gotta love that. And I love your creative images, Jan. The suet heart.. what a catch. The faces of the people you see.. lovely. And your creative car capture. I love it.

    I agree with Linda. More often, please!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear DJan, . . . I loved the photo safari! The suet heart was so serendipitous. And the clock intriguing. Thank you for taking us along. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Trying this again, I was over last night but Blogger decided I wasn't meant to comment.

    I really enjoyed your photo safari DJan. The photo you took through the car window is one of my favorites. And that clock is fascinating.

    If we ever wind up on the same side of the state we'll have to do a photo safari together.

    ReplyDelete
  29. A delightful little ramble, giving an idea of how you spend your days when you're not jumping out of planes or climbing in snow covered hills.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Spring was my favorite time of year too. It's what I miss while in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.