Thursday, July 4, 2024

Strenuous Fourth of July hike

Mary on today's hike

Today, one of our usual leaders, Barb, suggested an impromptu hike from the Lost Lake trailhead up to Burnout Point and back. Since the Senior Center was closed today, it wasn't official, but fourteen hikers showed up to take advantage of the possibility to get some exercise. I was one, even though I wasn't sure how I would handle around nine miles and lots of uphill on a warm sunny day.

Lookout view of Samish Bay and the islands

I'm not sure exactly how long it took us to get to this point, but I was constantly fighting to stay on the cool side and protecting myself from the sun. Although there were no clouds, it was challenging to find good footing when moving from partial shadow into full sun. I was glad for my new trekking poles, which worked great, and the help of my fellow hikers.

View of Mt Baker and the Sisters

From there, we walked another quarter mile to get to this other viewpoint, which offers a great view of Mt Baker and the Sisters. We stopped here for lunch. There was some shade, not much, but enough for those of us who needed to find a shady spot before pulling out our lunch.

Our "shade" as we ate and chatted

And then it was time to head down the road to return to our starting point. This is a wide loop hike, and the only thing I didn't really enjoy was walking on the gravel road as we made our way back to the trees. We also had some great views as we went.

Daisies, islands, and Samish Bay

I think this is my favorite picture from the day. Although I got lots of pictures of the abundant foxgloves in bloom, they didn't turn out nearly as lovely as what I saw with my own eyes. However, you can see from this picture what a beautiful place we walked through.

Today's hikers

We did find a passerby who was willing to take a picture of the group. Although the sun was shining brightly, I don't think the temperature reached much beyond 70°F (21°C). However, I was very happy with any shade we had on the logging road, since it allowed me to enjoy a slight breeze as well. 

Can you see the foxgloves?

Like I said, none of the pictures showed the beautiful proliferation of foxgloves, but they were there in pink, white, and lavender profusion. Once we got back down to the trees, we descended enough along the logging road, and then we were on our way back to our starting point, making a loop hike of around nine miles and more than 2,000 feet of elevation gain and loss. Quite a bit of loveliness indeed.

Once I got home, I immediately took a shower and changed into non-sweaty clothes, and pulled out my well-earned cold beer and quaffed it before getting some food. Now I am sitting here, not looking forward to all the loud noises to come from the fireworks displays my neighbors can't help but deliver. In any event, I should sleep well tonight! It was a really fine day, and I am happy to be able still to do stuff like this.

:-)

9 comments:

  1. You had a great hike, the foxgloves are beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a good challenge today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed. Very impressed. And that temperature is quite enough to be exercising in. You totally deserved that beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's pretty impressive, especially for a spontaneous hike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the flowers are beautiful. Sounds like maybe you could sleep through the fireworks after that--lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that field of daisies!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how when I enlarge the pics, it feels like I'm right there with you'all... virtual hiking!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's foxglove and oxeye daisy time.
    Did you know that oxeye daisies are considered a noxious weed? Not to me.
    Congratulations an completing that strenuous hike.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nine miles is a very impressive hike. I love foxgloves and daisies and would have enjoyed joining you on this walk.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.