Thursday, May 13, 2021

A medium molehill, my friends did a mountain

Dentist, me, technician

I felt very safe in the hands of my dentist office, with plenty of delightful ways to keep myself from paying too much attention to what was going on. I opted for nitrous oxide, which is giving me a big grey nose, sunglasses, and prior to coming here today, I took 2mg of Ativan for anxiety. I was feeling pretty woozy under the influence of Ativan and don't know if I'd take it again. I walk like a drunken sailor, wobbly and with no ability to walk in a straight line. Now, four hours later,  I am feeling it beginning to wear off, and I'm grateful.

The nitrous oxide was another thing entirely. I liked it from the first moment I sniffed in some oxygen-laced nitrous and felt it made the entire event much less traumatic. The plan was to remove a 40-year-old crown from a back molar and remove the entire tooth, which had developed some serious periodontal disease. Unfortunately, this old friend didn't go easily: the tooth had to be separated into two parts in order to remove it completely. It's now gone into the dustbin of history, or whatever else you do with old teeth.

I was given a picture of my mouth, sans tooth, as you can see here. The white part on the left is the crown that covered the tooth, and you can see its neighbor in both pictures. At the moment I am keeping a saturated cotton on the cavity, and I'm hoping that recovery will be straight forward. Little by little I'm regaining sensitivity in my lower lip and cheek, but it will be awhile before I'll know how much residual pain I'll have. It should be minimal.

Left picture, two teeth; right, only one

And all the while I'm sitting here in my lazy chair, feeling my mouth come back to normal, the Senior Trailblazers are all out on Raptor Ridge, enjoying magnificent weather and lots of mileage and elevation gain. If I feel better by mid-afternoon, I'll go for a walk myself, but right now I am just being lazy.

The crowd on Raptor Ridge

I think I'll go for at least a short walk, since the weather is really calling to me. I don't have to go far, just enough to wash all the drugs out of my system!

:-)

20 comments:

  1. Look after yourself dear friend and make it a short walk. Your yearning to be out there is a clear sign that while your body is a bit bloody your spirit in unbowed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting it done - for good! I have a root canal scheduled in 2 weeks. I love modern technology - how they make us as comfortable as possible. A few days of discomfort, and then we are all good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! That was a huge job. Nitrous oxide? I've never had that, but it sure sounds great. I'm so glad it's almost all done for you, DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s too bad you had to miss Thursday with the Trailblazers. Next week!

    Glad that tooth business is over for you, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had Ativan before a dental event... but usually 1mg for anxiety and all it did was help my heart not to beat out of my chest (which is a good thing). I've also had Nitrous oxide in the past and while it works well, I'm not fond of it as I feel like I'm 'tripped' out. But glad that ordeal is over for you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your dental surgery went well. Hope you took it easy so you don't trip on your walk. Glad it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you took all precautions while walking. That sounds like a bit traumatic process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No fooling--this blog deserves 'Post of the Week' for that top photo alone! I remember you talking about getting this done soon on your Sunday blog, but wow I'm impressed how much you were able to share here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the pain isn't lasting, I know this is new to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that's over with! I'm sure you'll relax a bit now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad it went well for you. I didn't do drugs when I had my extractions, but then my mother taught me to be tough, like in "If you're not bleeding to death you don't need a band aid." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Give yourself time to get over the experience and a chance for your mouth to heal. Glad it's all over for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad that is over with! Whew! Sounds like you have a good dentist, too. Take it easy for a few days because you don't want to jar the clot and have bleeding or get dry socket. Just be good to yourself and follow the directions they gave you. You'll be climbing again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well it is done, but so not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tooth begone. So glad it is over and you are recovering. Hope you had someone video your recovery from the nitrous oxide as people seem to say the darndest things on that drug and usually win big bucks on Funniest Home Videos. Hope you are back on the slopes soon. Rest easy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad everything went well. I was given nitrous oxide when I had my wisdom teeth out, about 40 years ago. I still remember ... the sensation was quite pleasant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gotta love the Nitrous!! I would opt for that again! I am so glad it is behind you! Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that is incredible, DJan. I have had wisdom teeth pulled, but just had shots of novocaine, and that's it. No real problem with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's behind you. The best starts tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.