Monday, May 17, 2021

A cloudy day for a change

Lilacs and golden shower tree

Walking back from the bus today, I saw these pretty blossoms, which were much easier to capture because of the overcast skies. We've had days and days of sunshine, but today it seemed a bit more familiar when I walked out to heavy clouds and the possibility of rain. Today I won't need to water the garden.

I'm feeling pretty good today after several uncomfortable days recovering from the tooth extraction. I don't know why I didn't realize that the recovery would be tough, but I really didn't. As I looked ahead at the surgery, I forgot to think about the aftermath. It hasn't been fun, but I am finally thinking I've managed to escape the dreaded "dry socket." I'm not completely out of the woods yet, but so far so good. The foods I have been eating are all soft, easy to swallow and digest. Especially the coffee ice cream. It's only been four days, and although the ice cream is almost gone, I am still losing weight every day. When you have to think about every single bite of food that goes into your mouth, and being careful to stay away from the wound, it makes a difference. My usual snack of raw almonds (no way!) and anything remotely chewy are not in my diet for now.

Front porch garden

I have been spending time sitting on the front porch enjoying my flowers and even talking to them about how much joy they are bringing to me. And now to you. I have decided that petunias and geraniums are my favorites, since they don't require much more than water and a bit of encouragement to flourish. I'm giving up on the fancy stuff.

After having read just about everything I could find online about how best to take care of my mouth after the extraction, I'm looking forward right now to getting through the next week without any setbacks. Then I can begin to think about my next adventure in growing older, where I seem to be losing bits of myself in the process.

:-)

16 comments:

  1. Geraniums & petunias (and lilacs too), don't do well here in the sub-tropics, so I enjoy your porch views as much as you. And I love the scent of geraniums!!

    Dental work is always a "pain". I'm not sure you NEED weight loss tho!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep talking to those flowers! They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help but look at these photos and think of Mel Brooks from 'History of the World Part 1' where he plays King Louis XVI, takes a pinch of... something from his snuff box and whispers "Everything's so green!" Anyway DJan, I hope you're through with the loss of bits for awhile :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So getting older ,means losing bits and pieces, pieces that stop working and pieces that leak. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I know that dry socket horror. I had one as a child and I still remember it so when I lost a molar last year, like you I dreaded it. I didn't get one and you won't either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too talk to the garden. Sometimes roughly.
    I am hoping (fervently) that you avoid dry socket and are soon back to your inspirational self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your front porch is looking very colourful. My geraniums are not in flower yet but I know they will provide lots of colour during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad the dental work is doing okay and you are getting to the other side of it.

    The blooms are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, petunias and geraniums seem pretty resistant to bugs and disease.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are not yet fully recovered, but you are improving, so that is good. Love those flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, one mustn't forget recovery time. You sound like you are doing well and will be back to regular activity soon. Your flowers are gorgeous! What a pretty place to sit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How about salt water rinses for your mouth...that is a standard thing around here. In a few more days you should be doing okay enough to get back to real food. Your flowers are beautiful...especially that Coral Geranium or is it Red? Either way it is very cheerful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in the middle of getting a crown replaced, but that's nothing compared to what you're going through. So Best wishes for a good recovery and no setbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are almost out of the woods! The worst day is the first day. I gargled with warm salty water. Saline water is the healing balm for our bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your porch looks like a wonderful place to relax with all those colorful geraniums and petunias. I'm glad the tooth extraction is healing well.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.