Saturday, May 26, 2018

Lummi Island walk

On the Lummi Island ferry
Twelve of us ladies caught the 8:10am ferry from Gooseberry Point to Lummi Island this morning, so we could make the seven-mile loop walk that we do at least once a year. It was breezy and chilly as we made the short crossing, but we warmed up as we walked, quickly breaking into faster and slower groups.
Orcas Island (and the fast ladies) in the distance
This walk is entirely on pavement, which makes it a little hard on the feet and knees when compared to walks of this distance that incorporate a bit of softer terrain, but we all did just fine.
Iris in full bloom
There were plenty of flowers out today, and these iris caught my eye as the sun came out briefly and lit them up. The picture doesn't do justice to their beauty. And then once we were finished with the walk, we stopped at the Beach Store Cafe for breakfast before catching the noon ferry back to the mainland. A few of us decided to stay awhile longer, but I was glad to get back in time to get home before the worst of the Memorial weekend traffic hits. With the annual Ski to Sea race tomorrow, lots of people from out of town are on the streets. It's pretty nice weather, too, so everyone should be all smiles.
:-)

14 comments:

  1. It looks like a delightful variation on your usual walks. Loved those iris too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a walk that would be great to do every Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those irises are gorgeous and so tall! It sounds like a perfect walk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a fun excursion. I have never been to Lummi Island.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have nice weather for once too. Funny how our weather so often reflects yours D-Jan. I've never really thought about walking on pavements being hard on the feet but I suppose you are right. I will think about that next time I'm out walking. One thing I did notice when I was in Tennessee was the lack of ancient pathways. Here in England we take for granted the pathways made by feet over thousands of years. They are brown and dusty or muddy and wet, but they are there and show us the way as they always have done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pavement would have been both nice and brutal. Think I would have walked on the side of the road also. The boat ride was a nice way to start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to stop by & see what you've been doing. Since you haven't visited for a while I thought you may busy with your garden ... or vacationing somewhere.

    This is a new area? Oh ya, walking on cement is hard on my back! Looks like a mighty fine area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pavement and sidewalks are good for people with old ankle injuries, my doctor said. Uneven ground causes more strain. But it is so much more fun to walk in the wild areas! Looks like a wonderful day and that it will be a good weekend for Memorial Day celebrations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well at least there were flowers to look at! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear DJan, seven miles! Wow and Wow! Those iris seem so tall to me. Much taller than the ones here in Missouri. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, sounds like a great day. I would enjoy this walk.
    The flowers are pretty. Enjoy your day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.