Saturday, May 19, 2018

Fisherman friend Gene

No, that's not him in the picture
Most of you who have followed my blog for awhile recognize Gene, my fisherman friend who brings me wonderful Alaskan salmon, which he just gives away to friends. I saw this picture in our local coffee shop (Avellino's, where we meet most mornings) and asked Gene if I could take a picture of him standing in front of it. The portrait is gone now, so I'm glad I got this shot.
Lily in Gene's ancient truck
Last weekend Gene came to the coffee shop in his old truck. He asked Lily if she wanted to sit in it; she did. This is not the sort of truck (made in 1952) that most people could even drive. You need to double-clutch it to change gears, and the steering wheel is HUGE. He said vehicles like these don't even allow you to drink a cup of coffee while driving. You need all your wits about you, and all hands on deck! Makes for a fun picture, though.
:-)

12 comments:

  1. TWO fun pictures.
    Loved seeing Gene and his look-a-like. And that truck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene and his doppleganger make quite a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad had a 51 Ford pickup. It was huge and started without a key, just a button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a change from the driverless cars of the not too distant future Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Car technology in the early 50's is not even remotely the same as today. When I look at the 50's vehicles , I can'nt believe how simple they were. They were simple to drive too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well he sure looks like the guy in the picture. So glad you caught it before the pic disappeared. Wow that truck is something else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great pictures!! Unique captures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a nice shot of Gene with that portrait of the bearded man. I don't think I could drive that truck at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And Cuba is filled with old cars like these. The owners have learned to refurbish their vehicles, turn them into diesel guzzlers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I SO LOVED THIS POST! I learned to dtive with a manual transmission! Good to know how to drive 'em on Colorado's snowy/icy roads!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the truck! I could drive it! That is some beard Gene has, I bet he off fishing soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear DJan, to think that Gene's driving a car from 1952--66 years old. I think that old saying is applicable here--"They don't make things like they used to!" Peace.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.