Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Long ago and far away

In the Indian Peaks wilderness
I'm not sure exactly when this picture of me was taken, but I recognize the setting: I volunteered for the US Forest Service in the 1980s to take people into the wilderness and teach them how to take care of it. This is the Indian Peaks wilderness area near Boulder, Colorado, where I lived.

It's sure not a recent picture, given the fact that my hair isn't white. But one thing that makes me happy is to be reminded that I have been involved in hiking and exercising much longer than I thought. And the years have passed, with me still (or I should say again) visiting wilderness areas on a regular basis.

There was a hiatus from this activity during the time I became a skydiver. The activity took over everything, including every last minute I spent outside of work. But it "only" lasted twenty-five years; now I am no longer skydiving but remember those years with fondness. I'm left with irreplaceable memories and a few lasting scars, but nothing that keeps me from hiking!
:-)

16 comments:

  1. Hiking out in the backwoods gets us back to what really matters- we go outside to go inside, as the expression goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognized you straight away, what a beautiful lady you are !
    I loved hiking in the Colorado countryside, The Garden of the Gods and surrounding Pikes Peak area, simply amazing vistas.
    Here's to many more years of those hikes you love so much !
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect that your love of exercise and the outdoors is as integral to you as your skeleton. Love that photo of the younger you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this picture.
    It’s still you, but different. Maybe the glasses?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful you could go back to hiking again! And you really hike too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this trip back in time. Sky diving sounds to me like such a courageous act, way to go girl. I am going to find a photo of me from years gone by and post soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You definitely found your passion and live it every day. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely photo, it almost seems painting like behind you:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pic! I'll have to look for some of those on me. I have lots from hiking days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have lied in two wonderful places where hiking is almost a must do, getting into out magnificent mountains and forests.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only the hair color is different. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cool job that had to have been. Outdoors and spreading the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful trip down memory lane
    ...and I am glad you took us along.

    Sometimes I daydream of living long ago in the mtns. of Colorado, but with my heart needing low altitude, I can ONLY dream!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photo and nice memories.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.