Thursday, December 28, 2017

No hiking for me today

Look at the ice forecast!
When I woke this morning to pack up and go out with my fellow Senior Trailblazers, I checked the forecast, which had been for rain all day. No matter, it won't be the first time for me, but this is what I saw: We had a Winter Weather Warning, with the whole of Bellingham forecast to be encased in ice.

But just to check, I went out to the front porch and it didn't seem so bad. But then I got my trusty headlamp and looked at the steps: they were covered with ice, and the rain was hitting them and making even more ice. I came back inside and pondered what to do. I was certainly not going anywhere at that moment.

Although I couldn't hike (or at least shouldn't), I decided to wait awhile and then head to the bus and make my way down to the coffee shop and then decide what to do next. In the short half-hour between when I first checked the steps and when I finally did, the temperature had risen enough that the only really bad place was the steps, because they are elevated and just right to gather ice.

I walked to the bus in the dark, noticing that there were only a few patches of ice and they were easy to miss. I also noticed that by the time I reached the coffee shop, I could have gone just about anywhere with no problem. However, it was still raining (and will continue all day), so I headed over to the gym and got a little exercise in the dry and warm main exercise area.

And now I'm back home, having had an outing but feeling a little sorry I didn't press right on through. I have no idea if anybody showed up, and if so, where they ended up going. I will find out, though, I'm sure. Yesterday at the eye doctor's, I got the All Clear to do pretty much anything, and with only a final three-week checkup on the right eye, and three more weeks of twice-daily drops in it. Left eye is now considered all done. Yay!
:-)

18 comments:

  1. Really pleased to hear your eyes are doing so well. I would say better safe than sorry in those conditions. It was icy here today and a lady fell over right in front of me. Really nasty fall onto her arm. She couldn't move her hand without excruciating pain. A visit to the hospital for her and probably an arm in plaster before the end of the day. Just glad I managed to stay on my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled to hear that your eye surgery went so well. And echoing the previous comment. Definitely better safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you got the all-clear. Too bad about the weather. I am such a fair-weather person that I don't even like to go out in the rain, much less a freezing rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made the right call. If there was ice outside my house I wouldn't drive anywhere either. Glad your eye is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay is right! Such a great outcome! I am so happy for you, Jan.

    There’s always next week with the Trailblazers. Oh and Saturday with the other group! You got to the gym though! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad your eye check up went well. You staying away from the hike...is not like you...are you sure you are okay? I am glad you opted for the gym instead. We had a nice day about +2 F a warm spell! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When it comes to ice, I'd say better safe than sorry. Good on you for going to work out anyhow, though!

    glad all is well with your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You "done" the right thing to stay home. Trail conditions are rough to begin with. With elevation it will be icy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my experience you can never be too careful in an ice storm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know how much you want to get out there and hike, but heeding the warning is probably a wise move. We couldn't get inspired to walk in the cold drizzle here, so we went to the mall and walked for 50 minutes. At least it got us moving, and we did not stop for coffee or any tempting goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's best to stay home when the weather is icy... but then I don't do well in the cold. If the temp is below freezing, that means "sit by the fire, read a book, and drink hot tea". Luckily here in Texas, it isn't icy very long. In Northern climes I guess you would have to learn to adapt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After taking a few bad falls over the years, I am glad you stayed home. Sidewalks and streets clear off first but you want to be out in the wilds. ;)

    So glad your eyes are doing so great!! Totally delightful to hear. Happy New Year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Probably a smart move Djan. Ice can be really tricky and put you to the ground in a hurry. I'm still nursing a bum shoulder from a 2 year ago ice adventure. We don't quite bounce like we use to.
    The gym sounds like a great idea till the weather gets less nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear about your successful eye surgery. And as far as your decision not to hike, better safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ice can be treacherous. You probably had a better day than you expected.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Icy conditions are scary whether in a vehicle or on foot. At least you were able to get going later. Glad your eyes have recovered well from surgery. Bob needs to get his left one done but can't decide on a time because he doesn't want to wait for the healing! Happy 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with the others that you should be careful of the weather conditions. I'm so happy your eyes are healing well.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.