Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Short and dreary days

Railroad Avenue this wet morning
This picture was taken right at sunrise today, not that you could see any sun. It has been raining for days and will continue for many more. I was walking to the coffee shop in full rain gear, feeling the wind and rain in my face as I navigated my way down the dark street. At this time of year, our sunrise is at 7:28am and sunset is at 4:23pm. That gives us less than nine hours of sunlight, if we could see it, that is.

And we are on our way to the winter solstice, which happens a month from now, when we will have just a little over eight hours between sunrise and sunset. (I was going to say eight hours of sunlight, but that is a little optimistic, given the amount of rain we are likely to endure.) At least in the High Country, it'll be snowing, and I will hopefully get a chance to get out there and use my new Microspikes. Down here it's just rain, rain, rain.
Wet leaves are pretty, though
I will be wracking my brain trying to think about what I might write about on Thursday, since I won't be hiking. Oh, wait! I know, how about Thanksgiving? Have a great one yourselves.
:-)

17 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    And please, send us some rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that rain would be sure to put a damper on my disposition - no matter how hard I try, days upon days of rain make me gloomy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get depressed when its dark for so long, especially when the daylight hours are not so light!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful leaves!! Great pic!
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cozy picture with the twinkling shop lights and reflecting rain on the pavements.
    Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving dear friend, we have much to be thankful for...
    Blessings,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh to the weather. You don’t let it keep you back though. Love the photos today. You get great photos on your phone, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As we drive around in the dim light of rainy November, I am struck by how much color there still is in the trees here. the cottonwoods are especially bright and lingering this year, and the birches are still golden. It really helps with the darkness.
    It is going to warm up now and so it is raining as high in the mountains as 8000 feet! I think this Thursday will be a good day not to be hiking.
    You can be thankful for staying dry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shorter days are very noticeable. I count days as I don't like when days get shorter. We don't have the heavy cloud to make the short days worse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just lamenting how early it gets dark. I want to eat dinner at 4:30! Our mornings, though, have been lovely since our sun does come up. Our temperatures for the next few days will be in the 70s. Of course, we could use some rain, but none in the forecast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks awfully familiar, especially from our week out west. Looks like my walk today, but I went out anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your coffehouse street is looking festive and your leaves are very pretty! Contact me by email eugenehateotdotcom
    You have a wonderful Thanksgiving too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy thanksgiving to you, too! :)

    I was thinking to myself on the drive home, only 1 more month and the days start getting longer again (YAY!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought the picture looked rather cheery also but I'm sure it probably glamorizes the situation. One of those--"you have to be there."
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, the days are getting shorter and shorter--and colder. But I think of you heading out for your hot coffee and good company at the shop every morning. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. And I thought days in south Florida were short these days!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The only thing I don't like about the winter months is the lack of daylight. I feel like I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes but ... an awfully nice photo of Railroad Avenue.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.