Thursday, November 23, 2017

Gratitude Thursday

Our Thanksgiving table
What a fine Thanksgiving spread we had... yesterday. SG and I decided to celebrate Thanksgiving one day early so we could have today, Thursday, to do whatever else we might want with a day completely without any expectations.

The first thing I did was hop in my friend John's truck (along with my friend Lily) to have an adventure seeking some coffee. Not only is my gym closed, but our regular place Avellino's was closed, too. We drove around in the rain looking for a place to have a good cup of coffee. All the places that I knew of were closed as well. We ended up at Starbuck's, which we usually avoid because the quality of the coffee doesn't hold a candle to our favorite spot. Another Avellino renegade was already there, and while we talked over coffee, Gene called me from the beach in Hawaii. I put the phone on Speaker, and we had quite a nice chat together.

This was the ninth year that Gene has gifted us with our Thanksgiving Alaskan salmon. I'm not sure that we will do it again next year, because Gene sold his boat and won't be going fishing in Alaska every summer any more. All good things come to an end eventually, but I must say I have really enjoyed his salmon as the best I've ever tasted.

After I got back home,  I decided to binge-watch the rest of the Stranger Things season 2. Although I don't usually enjoy scary movies, this series is campy enough to not be quite so terrifying. By "campy," I mean over the top and farcical, making it possible for me to handle the gruesome bits.

We had the most amazing weather yesterday. We reached 68°F (20°C) for the first time ever at this time of the year. It broke the previous record set in 1995 by eight degrees! Mild and windy, I was more than surprised at our wacky weather. Today it's back to normal temperatures and raining, naturally.

I start my eye drops on Sunday for the first cataract surgery set for Tuesday. Then it will be nonstop eye drops for months, if I consider both eyes. By Christmas I'll be all set with new eyes and new eyeglasses for distance vision. Wow! What a cool time to be alive. I'm grateful for the possibility to have better sight. And for much, much more, too numerous to list it all. However, one important thing I'm grateful for is YOU, my dear reader. Happy Thanksgiving!
:-)

12 comments:

  1. A very, very happy Thanksgiving to you dear DJan. I will continue to hold you in my heart, and hope your surgery goes wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks a wonderful spread to celebrate Thanksgiving. Will be thinking of you next Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I don't like Starbuck's coffee either. Now I don't think I've experienced as much rain in my lifetime as you have in a year. We average 12 in of precipitation a year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a perfect day, Jan. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I'm thankful for you, both as a great example of active retirement, and for all your faithful visits to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's Thanksgiving evening here now. Our guests have gone home, Tom has fallen asleep on the couch, and it is very quiet. We had a lovely afternoon around our Thanksgiving dinner table: good food and lots of easy conversation. Everything went beautifully, and I am grateful to have had the opportunity to provide my son, sister-in-law, and cousins with a traditional celebration. This evening I am counting my blessings as I rest and recover. And one of my blessings os some yummy leftovers in the frig.
    I'm always interested in how you mark the day with your own traditions. You made an adventure out of going for coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving, I bet that salmon was really good! Hawaii...Gene gets around! Glad you found a place for coffee:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like your pre-Thanksgiving was a success as well as the actual day. So happy you were blessed with such great weather. You were due.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the Starbucks coffee beans I grind at home. I hardly ever get out, as you know--and choices are limited at the grocery stores. Looks like a wonderful Thanksgiving meal. Best of luck with the surgery. Yes, eye drops await you--for weeks--LOL!! But your vision after will amaze you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the coffee thing, but I'm glad you had the holiday of YOUR choosing; that's the best any of us can ask for! I'm grateful for you, and the way you always inspire me to be a better me. If I don't blog again before your surgery, know that I'm praying for a successful surgery for you, and an uneventful recovery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice spread. I wish you all the best with your vision correction. I am not sure why so many eye drops. I have had many surgeries including cataracts and eye drops for surgery were started in the surgery an hour before. The after drops were just for two weeks to keep away infections . Stiches were the kind that disappeared in time. You may not need distance glasses after the implants. I assume they are adding corrective lenses during cataract removal,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just reading these posts after being away for the holiday. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving! The drops aren't hard to do... just make a chart to keep up... at least that's what I did.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.