Tuesday, May 26, 2015

My garden today

Spicy salad greens
I'm getting to the time in my garden where I need to go out every day and check on it. Just a few days ago, I harvested a bunch of these spicy salad greens and they are ready for another harvest. These, plus the Bibb lettuce and the already-bolting arugula, are past due to come in and get eaten.
Tomato blossom
And look! My tomato plants are beginning to get blossoms on them, and you know what that means: tomatoes are not too far behind. This is one called "Early Mid-Size" tomatoes. We have had plenty of sunshine, so the tomatoes should be ready in a couple of weeks, don't you think? I have no way to tell how long they go from blossom to table, but I'll be finding out, hopefully.
Sugar snap peas
My sugar snap peas are busy climbing the bamboo trellis I found to give them something to climb on. For the past three years I've planted them along the fence, but I learned that they taste much better if you don't plant them in the same place year after year. We'll see. That's my gardening neighbor Rob's blue bucket in the background.
Broccoli
I peered down into the broccoli plants, and sure enough, there's a beginning one in each of them. I remember from last year that the greens are also very delicious when steamed. I think it might be time for a few of them, too. The broccoli will come out before too long, I suspect. Oh boy!
Strawberries
I also rummaged around in the strawberry plants and found a few ripe ones. I'll bet you can guess what happened to these right after I took the picture. Yep, I ate them, and one of these days I'll be bring some in for my partner, but it will take a day or two or three. There's more delights in the garden, but I'll save them for a later post. I also notice that it's time to get busy weeding, too. Who needs a gym at this time of the year?
:-)

17 comments:

  1. i knew the strawberries would be 'disappeared' soon after the photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you are beginning the harvest.
    Love it when that it's that time of year.
    I'm fighting crabgrass right now. I've been hand pulling it for 3 days I could just "let it go"....but I want the veggies to have a fighting chance....so OUT with the crabgrass....one pull at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your garden. My father told me many years ago 'if it grows well, it is a weed'. He had a point. They grow much, much better than the plants I tenderly nurture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew those strawberries were goners as soon as I saw them! So envious of your garden...particularly for the tomatoes. Home grown tomatoes are ALWAYS better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks like it's going to be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of good stuff can be found in your garden. We always call them snow peas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is looking good! Fresh strawberries - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will take a while for that tomato blossom to be a ripe tomato. But if you get one by mid-July, that's really quite early for our climate.
    Gardening is fun, especially when you get to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should have a tomato by the end of July for sure. About two months from flower to fruit...usually at least here in Minnesota! Your garden looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not know that about planting and replanting in the same area. Learn something new each day. Yep, I'd have eaten those berries right then and there too.

    I would say about a month before the tomatoes are ripe enough to eat....unless you fry green ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The garden is looking good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it great to walk out and cut your own dinner or sometimes with strawberries, a really tasty snack. Some how I feel it will take a big harvest for them to make it all the way home to your partner:))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Looking good. Your way ahead of us....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of bending down to tend to your garden. Hope you have a strong back. I love placing sliced tomatoes over a tuna sandwich. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. DJan, your garden looks very lush. My daughter actually has tomatoes on her plants, but with all our rain, they may not ripen too fast. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so jealous of your sugar snap peas and the strawberries. I know yours are organic. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy. Those veggies are going to be delicious and not a sign of slug or snail.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.