Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Coffee shop goings on

A bird? A plane? No, it's coffee!
I thought my coffee this morning looked a lot like a bird, or maybe something else with wings. Very pretty, and thanks to my barista I was able to enjoy it after taking the picture. But I have to say, I think I've helped to create a budding techno-geek in the coffee shop. Not my friend Gene, either.
Gene all engrossed in his tablet, my iPad Air and John's iPad Mini
My friend John bought himself an Android tablet, which he could barely use, and he brought it to the coffee shop to ask me how to use it. I really didn't know, and being an Apple person I told him I wished he had bought something I could actually help to show him how to use. When he would ask me a question, I would look it up on Google on my iPad and we could eventually get the task done. But last week, he walked in with an iPad Mini! He had decided to join the Apple bandwagon and will sell his perfectly usable (by someone else) Android.

John learned how to use FaceTime yesterday, and I have already received three phone calls from him. He's delighted that he can call and video chat with me. This morning he called to introduce me to his cat. John is a dear man, and I'm happy to help him out, now that I actually CAN. He is going to have both of his knees replaced this coming Monday, and I will be looking forward to a lot of calls from him.

I'm just a bit worried about him, though. This is a major thing he's doing, and I don't think realizes just how major. He will be transferred directly from the hospital to a nursing home until he's back on his new knees. My fingers are crossed for all to go well. Tomorrow I will get him a few more apps that will help to keep him occupied during his convalescence.
:-)

21 comments:

  1. oh, i do hope your friend does well with his surgery and recovery! love that he's into video chats and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a dear friend, DJan. I will keep John in my best thoughts. I know that while he's on the road to recovery, he'll enjoy your virtual company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, 2 knees at once. That sounds dangerous to me. Good luck and best wishes to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both knees at once??!! Who does that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah i hope everything goes well for john..that is pretty major stuff...it is good that he has a way to communicate with others too as he will need that support....

    ReplyDelete
  6. That most definitely was a bird on your coffee.
    You are such a wonderful friend. Lots and lots of good wishes for John. I hope he recovers quickly and completely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad had both knees replaced. He liked to get out the 'after' x-rays and show people his titanium knees!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope everything goes well for your buddy. You could also help me with my ipad mini. I'm not an Apple person. Our library provides computer assistance to seniors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a good friend, DJan. It's good that John will be able to communicate with you while he recovers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you could help your friend, DJan. You're wonderful! I was drooling over your iPad air, buuuut Art decided we needed the Macbook Air instead. Well... next Christmas I'll be angling for my turn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both knees at once uffda! You are a gem to help him out with his IPad, I think it is great that you share your knowledge !

    ReplyDelete
  12. John has guts. But, you know, it's possible that he's been in such pain for such a long time that the recovery will be not as awful as it might be for somebody who didn't know that pain. I'm sure your visits will help him.
    I'm glad he can get the care in the nursing home and can have the surgery to begin with. I expect it will be life-changing for him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, both knees done at the same time is very difficult indeed. My friend had two separate operations - John must be very brave indeed, however, he will be take well care of and in a good place where they will cater to his needs and insure that he heals well and has proper exercise to get those knees working well. I remember when my brother invested in his ipad mini and discovered facetime - he called me every morning and sometimes 3-4 times a day till the novelty wore off a little. You will be a good dose of medicine for John during his recovery and be able to tell him all about your hikes, etc for you are a busy bee DJan. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My brother did both knees at the same time, and he got along fine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad he joined the apple family! I'm sure he'll recover and be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks to you, he will have a way to stay entertained while he is in rehab.
    Hoping for smooth surgery and a quick recovery. Who will be taking care of his cat?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You two, I know, will have many times of laughter with your chats while he's recuperating.

    DJ...I'm here today to send along my wishes for you and your loved ones to enjoy the season tidings. Live, love, laughter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. BOTH KNEES!?!?!? At the same time. Wow. He's one tough guy. Sending good vibes and prayers his way for a speedy recovery.

    And it looks like your friend could moonlight as Santa Claus!

    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
  19. Never heard of both knees at once ... but what do I know? I just ice mine. Meantime, I'm thinking of making a trip out to your coffee shop to get some advice on how to use my Samsung!

    ReplyDelete
  20. He is fortunate to have a friend who can help with some techno advice. No doubt he will be an expert by the time he is back on both legs again. Maybe you can introduce him to blogging so he can write his own blog about the experience of having both knees done at once!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope the surgery goes well and the recovery, too. My dad had a hip replaced at 90 and it went well, but takes a while to recover. He's so glad he had it done, though. (94 now.) You are such a good friend!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.