Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Day 2014

Bellingham Bay and Smart Guy on Christmas Day
No hike today. Smart Guy and I had a leisurely morning and then we went for a walk from the apartment to Bellingham Bay. The cold wind and brisk temperatures (well, not that brisk, around 40F or 4C) made it feel quite cold to me until I warmed up. It was about an hour after high tide when we got to the bay. We didn't stay long because of the wind, but it was nice to be there together. This is part of his regular walk and I only visit it a couple times a year. It was nice to be together.

After I scouted out a place for my coffee and enjoyed it to the last drop, I went to visit John in the nursing home. He was moved there today from the hospital and it was the first time I had been inside the North Cascades Health and Rehabilitation Center. I got his stuff moved around so that he can easily reach important things like his new iPad, plugged it in and then left after about a half hour.

It was over 85F in his room when I walked in, and there is no way to turn down the heat, so I opened all the windows and let fresh air in. John cannot get up by himself and I guess that will be the way of things for the next several weeks, but frankly, it made me depressed to think about myself being in such a place. It's Bellingham's newest nursing home, and although it's not bad for what it is, I was anxious to leave.

But it's Christmas, and there was no way I wouldn't go to visit him today. Tomorrow when I'm in the coffee shop, we'll have a video chat so he can join us at the table where we usually sit. Here's what his environment looks like right now:
John in his new home for awhile
His legs are swollen and encased in pressure stockings, and he needs help to get out of bed and stand next to his walker. I didn't stay when the nurses went to take him to the bathroom because I was afraid that it would be hard to see him in pain. Plus he wasn't feeling all that well with the room temperature so high. I hope next time I visit him it will be better.

But otherwise, I've had a wonderful Christmas Day, with an hour's walk with my very special guy. When I finish with this, I'll dial up my family in Texas and say hello. I hope you've had a wonderful Christmas Day!
:-)

22 comments:

  1. bless your friend. i hope his healing and rehabilitation goes well. and blessings to you and smart guy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Djan!! Good to see the people you spent your day with! John is going to be better than new in a few weeks:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a pretty nice day. Too bad about your friend having to be in a convalescent home for Christmas. Those places are never fun. Hopefully he can recuperate and get back out in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you went to see your friend. I hope they know his room was to warm.

    It is sad...nursing homes. I feel the same. The bay is so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure visiting John and helping him would be a high point of the day even it the place is a downer.That's when people need you the most.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad (and unsurprised) that you went to see John and will include him in your cuppa tommorrow.
    And I love that you and Smart Guy had a lovely day together. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good Christmas Day! The weather here was similar, but I wasn't out walking. I was working on the [blasted] scarf . . . the skein seems to be getting bigger instead of smaller. Am I Alice living in Wonderland that nothing is the same size the second time I look at it?

    Your walk sounds refreshing, and it's so good of you to have gone to see John and settled him in. Several weeks of not being able to move at will, though, poor man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a nice girl DJan to go on Christmas Day to visit your friend at the hospital. I hope its not too long that John is right back at that table in the cafe with you all. Please give him my regards and a special hullo n hug from Atlantic Canada. My dog Jack says "woof, woof" to John too. We had a nice walk yesterday pm as the storm has finally left and out came the sun. Mild, like a day in Spring and for the first time in many many years.....NO SNOW??? My little 8 yr old nephew got a ipad mini for Christmas and he and I had our first facetime chat yesterday morning - it was too funny. I am sure there will be more. Here's the fun part. He called me back half an hour later and asked me "WhatCha doin now Lilly". ha,ha Take care .

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful day...you sharing your time with a friend is awesome. The bay water looks a might chilly...I bet that wind coming off there WAS cold. And a good cup of HOT coffee hit the spot!!

    Now...I leave you with a very happy note: Hope your week ahead to 2015 is the best ever.

    Oh...and a big Howdy-do from this Texan blog-family member.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry for John...80+ degrees in his room? YIkes! That is way to warm. You are so thoughtful to go to see him there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was there a reason they had it so warm in his room? You are a wonderful friend to go see him yesterday.

    Sounds like you had a good Christmas, despite your routine being out of whack!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you were able to get outside for Christmas. I'm chomping at the bit to be hiking again. Baby steps.... You're a good friend to visit John in the nursing home. I'm sure he appreciates your help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's too bad about the pain. I hope his condition improves. I wish John the best.
    Good that you and your hubby had that invigorating walk to the bay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Won't be long and John will feel much better. Sounds like a nice brisk walk with your honey and a very good Christmas Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Indeed. The true spirit of Christmas. You did well. DJan. I often think of my mom who spent several years in such a place with final stage dementia...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you had a good Christmas and good to see Smart Guy...you so rarely show him to us! Good wishes to John on his recovery and it's great he can "visit" with you all at the coffee shop; ain't technology grand?! Hope the rest of your holidays are warm and relaxing and peacful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw how sweet to go visit your friend. What a shame about the room temp. Can't they adjust it for him.? That is so neat that you plan a video chat for him. That will make it not so lonesome for him. Hopefully he will be out of there soon. Ya done good Djan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are such a good friend to go visit John. I wouldn't expect anything else of you though. I hope he'll be on the mend very soon. I'm glad you had a decent Christmas with your Smart Guy. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked seeing Smart Guy and getting just a glimpse into what is obviously his very private life, part of his "regular walk".
    John is very fortunate to have a friend like you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I must say that I think this is the first time I have ever actually seen "Smart Guy." Handsome guy. You two had a great day together. Also, it was great to see that you remembered a friend in need and visited your friend in the care home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's very wonderful of you to visit your friend. We were visiting my cousin this month at the hospital and then at hospice. It's hard to watch.

    I'm so glad you had a peaceful, happy day with your Smart Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are a very special person by caring for John and WiseGuy and still have time for a cup of your fav.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.