Thursday, December 21, 2023

Samish Crest to Lake Padden

Most of our group today

 Today, the Group 2 hike of the Senior Trailblazers was organized by our leader, Barb (seen only in the yellow jacket at the right), bringing 13 of us to Samish Crest where this picture was taken by Don, before we trekked on to Lake Padden, where we went around the lake and then stopped for lunch.

The view from Samish Crest

Barb took us from our starting point at Racine Street through a bunch of very soggy trails to this point. We were all ready for rain, but there wasn't so much as a sprinkle as we made our way from this spot.

The group, Don took the photo

Although I didn't realize it until we ended back, most of this hike is slightly downhill in this direction. There wasn't much to take pictures of on the trail, other than muddy spots and lots of soggy leaves, but nevertheless we were happy to be out and hiking on the Winter Solstice.

Lake Padden

And then poof, just like that we were at the lake. We went around the lake the long way to add some distance, and then stopped at one of the picnic tables under a nice pavilion to have some lunch. I need to tell you of a new hiker who joined our group today, and she has taken me as her new partner: Olga. She is a gnome who was gifted to me by Helen, who also brought along her friend Greta today.

Helen, Greta, Olga, and me

Olga will be joining me on my upcoming hikes, as a dear friend as also as a reminder than even gnomes enjoy being the center of attention now and then. I will keep Olga safe and secure on my backpack, to join my hikes in perpetuity. Thank you, dear Helen, for gifting me with Olga.

Licorice ferns on an Irish tree

My dear partner dubbed this tree as Irish, because of the heavy lean, but I was taken by the wonderful licorice ferns that embellish it. It was a simply wonderful day, filled with lots of joy and happiness on this darkest day of the year. We covered around nine miles and a bit of elevation, which I cannot know for sure. But now that I am home, and drinking a winter ale that is making me feel pretty darn good, I cannot help but b thankful for all my blessings as we begin another journey around the sun.

:-)

10 comments:

  1. A hike on winter solstice is a fun if you keep in mind the time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olga is so cute! Looking forward to seeing more of her adventures--LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am smiling broadly as I read/view this post and welcome your new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen licorice ferns. Nature is full of surprises. Love the new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad it was a good hike. I like the pics of Lake Padden and the Licorice Ferns. Cool pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olga! She reminds me of Tomie dePaulo's Strega Nona. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our blog friend Olga might be pleased with the namesake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas DJan! Hope you and hubby have a wonderful healthy safe holiday! Love the picture of that 'Irish' Licorice tree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas DJan, you take us on so many wonderful hikes !
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. May you and Olga have many, many more hikes in the years to come, DJan!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.