Thursday, March 18, 2021

Chanterelle Trail

Map of the two trails

 Well, I didn't get many pictures today, since this trail hasn't changed much since the last time we hiked it and I wasn't inspired. It's one of our preferred winter trails, and we visited it quite often during our pandemic year in 2020. There are two trails indicated in the map; we ascended the Chanterelle trail this morning, shorter but more challenging because of the elevation gain. If you were to enlarge the map to read the section about the trail, you would see this information:

The Chanterelle Trail ascends 1,000 feet in 2.4 miles through a mix of forest types to a scenic overlook of Lake Whatcom and Lookout Mountain. The first 0.6 miles of the trail is shared hiking and biking. The remaining 1.8 miles is open to two-way foot traffic but bikes travel uphill only. Until a descending bike trail is constructed, bikes return to the trailhead via the Wickersham Truck Road.

 Once you get to the top, a short .1 mile walk takes you to a lovely view, plus gives you a round 2.5 miles to make the number look better in a blog post. This is the view you get at the top.

Lake Whatcom from the viewpoint

As you can see, we didn't have much sunshine today, but the rain held off until we were on the return trip back the way we had come. The weather was mild and only occasionally did the breeze affect us. I had to take my coat off and tie it around my waist, as usual.

Chanterelle trail

This is quite a nice trail, well maintained as you can see here. It's beginning to dry out quite a lot, however, and I do miss the intense green that we see at other times of the year. I didn't miss the mud, though.

Indian plum in bloom

This picture shows some Indian plum plants in the foreground that are just now beginning to bloom. Behind you see an old log that has been taken over by licorice ferns. You can see there is plenty of green in this shot, so I take back what I said earlier: it's still very green in my part of the country. The coming weeks should show us plenty of springtime blooms to join the Indian plums.

Tomorrow SG gets his second Covid shot, and I'll receive mine this coming Tuesday. I just saw an article that says that some people develop something called "Covid arm" which is a rash where you get the shot. I have at least three friends or acquaintances who have developed it; most received the Moderna vaccine. We are Pfizer recipients and I'm expecting at least some kind of reaction to our second shots. We'll see. In any event, I am glad that two weeks after that second dose, we will be as fully vaccinated as we can be! Yay!

:-)

19 comments:

  1. Yay is right. So happy for you both, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So today was a good day to forget about covid and shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very, very happy for you - and do hope that you avoid adverse reactions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you and Smart Guy don't have a bad reaction. Yes I still have the covid arm from the last shot and this time they gave it to me along side that area. I am still tired today but taking time to rest and let my body do its thing! Nice hike...looks greener than Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you both do well with no symptoms.
    I enjoy the views but I also love seeing all the plants in the oods, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still waiting for shots. As you know, Canada is lagging, and our province seems to be lagging more than some others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful view at the top. Glad to know that the rain held back 'til nearly the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read that light exercise -- like walking, but maybe not climbing those hills? -- helps us avoid reaction to the shots. Either way, congrats and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are both getting full immunization. I also had the Moderna and thought I might be getting the Moderna arm but I just got a mild itching at the site that lasted about a day. Otherwise, no problems. Hoping the same for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay is right. Oh, I hope I don't get the Covid arm since I am going to take the 2nd dose of the Moderna on March 27. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look forward to your hikes during the seasons of your area. Soon the flowers will be in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful hike, seems like things are getting greener up there.
    I've read where the second shot causes your immune system to recognize they have seen this intruder before (1st shot), and goes all out to defend the body, hence the possibility of aches and fever and headaches. Not gotten my second one yet, we had the Moderna.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. The greens will only get greener here as Spring time arrives. I love the greens of spring.
    We had only mild reactions with our second Pfizer shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another beautiful hike. It will be a few weeks before I get my second shot but at least I've had the first one so am happy to wait. Then it will be another step closer to normality.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We never mind seeing repetitious pictures! In fact I'd like to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoyed sharing your hike as usual. Glad you both are getting fully immunized. DH and I had no problems with first or second Pfizer - just arm a little sore for a day or so.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hubby had his first on March 3 and Buddy and I get March 26. Our second ones will come 16 weeks later as it is now a race to bear the third wave of the yet more deadly virus. We are getting Pfizer. Ours come from EU.
    Trying to prevent another lockdown seems impossible as this one spreads too fast. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure you and your Smart Guy will go well with the 2nd shot. We did get sore arms. I was a little tired, but everybody else was totally fine. Yay for spring!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.