Thursday, January 28, 2016

Hoypus Hill and Ala Spit

Steve, Al, Bill, Ward, Linda, Chris, Carol, Rich (and I took the picture)
Nine of us showed up today, in spite of the awful weather we had all night long: lots and lots of rain and wind, making today's hike look very unpleasant. But still, as I said last week, you gotta just go with it and see what happens. We drove 45 miles south through a driving rain, making me even less optimistic about the day.
No rain, lots of soft light
But by the time we stepped out of the cars and began our hike, it was beautiful! Although there was no sunshine, there was also no rain. Hoypus Hill is one of our usual wintertime hikes, on Whidbey Island near Deception Pass. Here's a map of the place.
Hoypus Hill and Ala Spit
We started at Cornet Bay, right across from Goose Rock on this map, and hiked around the trails in the middle of the hill, before heading over to Ala Spit, that little finger on the right-hand side of the picture, which was actually accessible as the tide was going out, and there was very little wind as we settled down to have our lunch.
Our view from our lunch spot
You wouldn't know it to look at this picture, but it's NOT black and white. The sun was beginning to make an appearance, and the birds were coming out as well. We were entertained by oystercatchers, kingfishers, gulls, and even an eagle out on the Skagit Bay as we had lunch.
Looking out at the bay while the sky cleared
We enjoyed our lunch in full sun. You can see how the clouds just cleared away and made it very hard to get up and leave afterwards. We don't often linger over lunch during the winter, but we did today. And then it was finally time to start our return trip.
Our trails were well marked
Our final trail takes us by some wonderful Old Growth trees, which I always look forward to seeing. Today was no exception.
Big old tree and a beautiful sky
There is really no way to capture the magnificence of these trees, but that doesn't stop me from trying. This one just kept going up and up, making the end of a wonderful day even more enjoyable. We ended up going nine and a half miles and more than 1,000 feet up and down. I'm allowed to be tired, but I've got a meeting to go to tonight, so I'll stop this right here.
:-)

16 comments:

  1. Nine miles is a long walk. You must have a lucky rabbit's foot or some other charm as you seem to go out on a rainy day and the rain stops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also struggle making photos of trees in the PNW. They're way too tall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it when you give us a map to check out! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for dry weather! Sounds like you and your friends totally lucked out today. I admire your willingness to get outside no matter the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How absolutely glorious.
    A fine reward for your perserverance. Yay you. As always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great hike with some sunshine too! I am always impressed with the PNW trees that seems to go upwards forever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nine miles is a good hike! Tom and I walked a little bit of this area after we heard about it here on your blog a couple of winters ago. I love big trees and found some there, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! I wish I had your stamina. Art would LOVE that hike. He loves giant trees. Well... he loves any tree actually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to a rain forest today with David. Those tall trees remind me of the ones we saw.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Extraordinary beauty in the diversified landscaping!! Oh how I envy you all seeing an eagle!!!

    Hope you got some much needed rest from the long hike!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps...I too appreciate, as Gnome posted, that you share maps!!!

      Delete
  11. You are definitely a glass half full group and it usually pays off. A lesson for all of us. Your lunch spot was lovely, even with no sun at first.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It fills the heart with joy to have a day like that eventhough the muscles might be screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's quite a distance. I love the lunch spot. It's almost magical how it cleared for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That big ole tree could be an Ent from Middle Earth! You people are really a hardy bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. loved the silver/gray view of the water!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.