Thursday, July 17, 2014

Keep Cool Trail

Partly shady and sunny, steep trail
We do this hike once a year, sometimes more than once. Where we climb to is not long, but it's the original way to get to the top of Yellow Aster Butte. Now it's an unmaintained, rarely used, brushy trail that takes the hiker to great views and a good way to get to the top of the butte (we only went to a nice viewpoint, then turned around and returned). Nine Trailblazers gathered today to do this hike, some who had never done it before and wanted to see what it was like, and the rest of us who knew we'd have a good workout, at the very least.
Our first meeting with snow
After making our way through the brush, fighting mosquitos and other pests, we met the first snow after a couple of miles. It was spotty, only in the places where there was shade or sites where the intense sunshine didn't reach. We went up, up, up, and finally reached the meadow that would lead even more upwards.
Crossing the snow to the meadow
Most of the meadow, after we crossed these parts, was mostly clear of snow. By the time we reached it, and we picked our way across places like this as well as places like we saw below, there were beautiful streams free of snow and filled with heather and marsh marigolds.
Stream and heather
Is this beautiful or what? We knew that from this place we would begin to climb again, so we could have views of many of the nearby mountains, and we were right. By the time we reached our lunch spot, around 12:30pm, this is the view we enjoyed.
Mt. Shuksan from our lunch spot
Ahhh. And not only that, after a mere three miles from the beginning, we had lunch at a spot above 5,000 feet elevation, with sun and a nice breeze. Here's a picture of our brand-new Trailblazer, joining us for the first time today.
Paula snoozing after having a nice lunch
After a leisurely lunch, we reluctantly gathered up our gear and started our way back down the way we had come. It was about six miles or so round tril, with a fair amount of elevation gain and loss (over 2,000 feet). We finally reached the cars around 4:30pm, to begin our drive back home.
Sue and Mel starting down the trail
It was a very good day, with lots of sunshine and beautiful views, mixed with a few bugs and lots of downed trees and logs to clamber across and around. But it was nowhere near as hard or as long as our Monday hike, which was just fine with me. And now I'm home and enjoying my you-know-what (my wine).
:-)

28 comments:

  1. The elevation is the killer. Distance? That's okay except when it's down hill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow and wow. You deserve your wine o'clock. Really, really deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! These hikes of yours have redefined my idea of the Pacific Northwest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible photos and activity. Felt like I was along. I don't know if I could do that steep part though. My feet and knee might say "No!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. What gorgeous views. I really like your photo of the stream and flowers DJan. Other than the mosquitoes and other bugs this sounds like a near perfect day.

    After our week of triple digit temps I really enjoyed the cool scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are always rewarded for your hard work by such spectacular views.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gorgeous views..I think you deserve your wine after that long hike!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always amazed at the different climate conditions you encounter on the same hike. That shot of the newcomer, lying in shorts just feet from snow is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Somehow, these photos remind me of the musical, The Sound of Music. Simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha. i want one of those naps...and what a beautiful place...especially beyond the snow where there are those streams...their song could def be my lullaby...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd be that picture laid out on the ground with my hat over my face. Love your pictures, absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your shot of the stream & heather is beautiful. I'd probably nap too if I'd made that climb...that is, if I could make the climb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not only do I so enjoy your views and hiker photos...but the commentary is always so clear, that I feel I'm right there with you. But...today...bring on the "OFF"...I hate mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stream side flowers, and napping in shorts next to snow.. looks like a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The stream and flowers was beautiful! I don't know how you all can follow paths that I can't even see. With my sense of direction (or lack thereof) I'd be terrified to go without a good guide or I'd be wandering the mountainside for days--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a lovely hike! And the pictures are fine.

    Next time, perhaps take a chain saw to help you clear the trail. Bringing the wood home would be a bit much, I realize.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You really need to make a book from all your wonderful hike pictures! They are so-oo good, especially for us who cannot be there. I just enlarge them as big as the screen and it *feels* like I'm there. Thanks for all the virtual hikes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It blows me away to think of walking through snow in July.. particularly when flowers are also growing so abundantly nearby. Beautiful, wonderful photos, Djan. You live in a beautiful part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The stream and heather look like a painting- what glorious vistas you saw. Hiking is good for your soul as well as your health.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The stream is so clear you can see the pebbles n rocks, plus its most beautiful with all the grass n forest. The activity of the steep climb truly worth the view. Really Nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. A very lovely hike indeed. I can't help but wonder when I see those little mountain streams if there are any trout in them....:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful clear stream...I bet the water was cold too! What a lovely view up on top..wowza! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so impressed with all this beauty. It's so hot and muggy here in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so impressed with all this beauty. It's so hot and muggy here in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.