Saturday, February 9, 2013

Florida is just a memory

Ice cream cone in the sky
Yesterday, as we came down from a higher altitude, I caught a glimpse of Mt. Rainier sticking up out of the clouds, before we descended to the normal wintertime Pacific Northwest climate. Many times I've seen low-lying clouds with my two favorite mountains sticking up like this, Rainier and Baker. Yes, I've grown to love the area, and after two weeks of sunshine, I'm ready to live under the clouds again.
There were a few breaks in the clouds before it became totally overcast, and I caught this quick shot of Seattle with my iPhone. The weather forecast was for overcast skies, with some clearing today (hasn't happened yet). For those of you who wondered about my ears, I did use the Valsalva maneuver as we descended to keep my ears from hurting, and it worked just fine. If you're not familiar with it, I've provided a link. Basically it's just holding your nose and blowing as if you are inflating a balloon. It equalizes the pressure in the ears.

I find it easier when traveling east to adjust to the time change. I awoke this morning at 2:00am, as I would normally awake at 5:00am in Florida. I tossed and turned, managing to doze for another two hours, but I'll be ready to drop by early evening, I'm sure. My friend Judy and I are going to the movies this afternoon to see Beasts of the Southern Wild, an Oscar-nominated movie.

This morning I joined the Fairhaven walkers to take two trips around Lake Padden, for a distance of 5.2 miles. It felt pretty easy, after having been hardened by my sister's routine. Here I thought I was made of sterner stuff, but my own exercise routine is not to her intensity. Now I get to do what I'm accustomed to. Amazing how quickly two weeks in Florida have faded. However, one friend noticed that I have a bit of a tan, imagine that!
I not only have gained some sun on my face, but I have a plethora of photos to remember my time in Florida. My favorite time of the day was in the early evening when the rays of the sun came through the door. We sat in our respective chairs and each drank our one glass of wine together at this time, which also made it memorable.

I'm back into my old routine, without a hitch, and many wonderful memories of my Florida vacation. I think I'll do this again! No, I KNOW I will.
:-)

26 comments:

  1. i am sure the sun...and time with her...did wonders for you....ha on the exercise not being much now as well...welcome home...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a 'nice to be back home but melancholy for time w/ my sis' post. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had safe trip and got a tan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to try the Valsalva Maneuver because I have never heard of it. I usually yawn a lot on planes and chew gum which always works for me. I feel the same way about Florida--another time, another place. I'm glad you had fun on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure it's not just the tan that can be seen on you... I'll bet you can see the joy of having spent 2 weeks with your sister as well! :o)

    I for one have an easier time adjusting to jet lag when I'm travelling west... but that's 'cause I'm not a morning person but when I travel west because of the time difference I can get up early no problem! :p

    Ha! My dad and I are planning on seeing Beasts of the Southern Wild tomorrow as well!!! We'll have to compare notes! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you are back home safe and sound and have wonderful memories or a great visit. Isn't it good to have someone you can do that with? I don't have a sister anymore, but I do have a cousin in New Orleans that I visit on occasion. She's 2 years older than me. It's not quite the West to East difference, but we enjoy it (and we are not as energetic as you two).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh... and I forgot to mention. I LOVE the cloud pictures! Makes me remember how much I love to fly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just came by and caught up on your Florida visit. It sounds wonderful, especially the blue skies and warm temperatures. It's been very cold in California for this time of year.

    Glad you had such a good time with your sister. She sounds even more active than you, if that's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home...
    I'm glad that you had a safe trip.
    Your photographs are always splendid to look at. I love the photo of the clouds taken from the plane....and I especially love the long shadows in the photo looking through the door.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you just jumped right back to your NW routine! There's no place like home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good to get jolted out of our routine sometimes. When we come back we enjoy things more. Surprised how fast you get back in your comfortable routine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an absolutely glorious image of Mt. Rainier rising out of the clouds! Your single glass of wine shared with your sister sounds so nice...

    ReplyDelete
  13. That will be great, DJan, to see Florida and your sister again. I hope you did get a tan, by golly! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the long shadows and the sweet pup make for a beautiful photo

    thanks for being so concerned about us
    we did fine, got about a foot of snow and never lost power
    Long Island got slammed, we were very lucky

    hugs from me and Hope

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome home! Let us know what you think of the movie. I trust your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aren't you lucky you didn't travel through the storm. Looks beautiful in your neck of the woods. I'm off to read your Fla posts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a good sister. Traveling across the country can take the stuffing out of you, but you are one tough gal. Of course, tough in a good way. Glad you jumped right in at home again. I would like to hear about the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You amaze me how you don't miss a step for a second. Straight back in to your walking routine. Although the suntan might fade the memories won't. Happy dream time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So that plugging your nose and blowing gently has a fancy name..who knew..YOU!
    I am glad you are home safely and jumping right back in your routine.
    Good picture of Icky..I bet he misses your lap!
    It has been snowing since last night..we are having a blizzard..so far about 6 or 7 inches of snow. It might stop snowing tomorrow..we need the moisture that it will give us in the spring.:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome home! I'm glad your time was so special, but it is always good to be home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your commentary on your memories DJan. And of course, your photo shares. I'm sure that you'll return, it was such a pleasant trip for us all.

    Next time, you must go and sunbathe on the sands of Florida...Get an overall tan. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never taken a photo from the window of an airplane. Go figure. Photos are my favorite travel souvenirs. Memories wouldn't be the same without them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Welcome back to this side of the country, it is always good to get back home. You have clouds and for the first time in weeks we are having sunny days.

    I have Beast of the Southern Wild in my queue on Vudu. It's waiting to be streamed to the TV. I'll be watching it in the next few days. Can't wait to hear what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That sounds so wonderful and blissful.

    I loved imagining this part: "My favorite time of the day was in the early evening when the rays of the sun came through the door. We sat in our respective chairs and each drank our one glass of wine together at this time, which also made it memorable."

    ReplyDelete
  25. Welcome home, DJan! You do live in such a beautiful part of our country. It's too bad that you and your sister live on opposite sides of the continent.

    I've tried that method of preventing my ears from plugging up on the descent, but it hasn't worked very well for me. Yawning works if I could get myself to yawn.

    Ah... now you've got some mountains to climb again.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How quickly the time goes by. And That you had such a pleasant time too! Photos galore.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.