Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cub Creek repeat

Eleven Senior Trailblazers decided to skip Welcome Pass (on the schedule for today) because Al, Steve, and Fred went up last Sunday to check out the snow levels in the High Country. They reported to us that it would be prudent to let those hikes "marinate" for a while yet. Instead, we went up the south side of Stewart Mountain, also known as Cub Creek, which we last visited in February; it was raining and snowing that day. You can see how different it was just a few months back. The weather today was predicted to clear in the afternoon. No rain at all when we started out.
We did, however, earn our "Trailblazer" moniker today. There is a very faint trail somewhere there within the bushes, so tall that Jonelle is almost obscured. We bushwhacked our way out of these bushes only to find ourselves engulfed in fog. The higher we got, the foggier it was, meaning we wouldn't be able to see any view again today; we stopped for lunch out of the wind right on the logging road, rather than going to the south summit. There was no reason to do that, as our main focus became putting on all the clothes we brought to keep ourselves warm and settling in for a nice lunch.
Three people joined us today that I haven't seen in awhile. That's Diane in the foreground, who has returned from her winter home to spend the summer with us. Ward (Norm's friend, not Linda's husband Ward) also joined us for the first time this year. And Aspen, who was on a hike with us last fall, showed up today as well. The company made it all worthwhile. And we had to stay close together: here's why.
It was necessary to keep track of eleven people on this old logging road as we made our way down, and people disappeared into the mist in no time. We had a few sprinkles, either that or the fog got really thick for a bit, but otherwise we stayed dry. It was cold, though: I needed all the clothes I brought. Someone remembered at lunchtime that today is Flag Day, and Steve was wearing all the right colors, so I'll close with this picture.
By the time we reached the cars, we had climbed a total of 2,500 feet and covered 9.3 miles in total, which made it a good workout even if there was no view. All in all, a very good day, and now it's Wine Thirty! Guess where I'm going...
:-)

23 comments:

  1. hmmm. Do you refrigerate your red wine or keep it room temperature? If I have red, it must be cold, because it tastes better that way. Actually, I drink only champagne or beer these days. Tastes better to me and I love the fizz.

    I'd be afraid of hiking in the fog, as I wouldn't want to fall off a cliff or get lost. Good that you returned home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you always make me laugh w/ your relaxation - but, lordy, you earn it! :)

    the green growth was impressive and the fog was too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone looks so happy on this hike. I love that fog.
    You have earned your wine time my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear DJan, I appreciated the photograph you used for the closing of your post. My that fog was thick. We used to use the phrase "pea soup fog."

    I went to the podiatrist last Thursday and he pressed and prodded and said that the stress fracture of one of my metatarsal bones in my foot is truly on the mend. I'll probably be able to start exercising by walking within the first couple of weeks of July!!!!!

    I've already gone and bought a pair of walking shoes, per his suggestions for what are good brands. So I'm excited! I so admire your getting out and walking/hiking/bicycling.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bigger group this time. Nice! But in that fog I think I'd want everyone to be tied together with a rope or something--LOL! I'd be scared of getting lost with a difficult trail to follow. You guys are something else!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No doubt the fellowship was good and that's important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you gain elevation and are in fog I think of it as in the clouds! I'm always looking to come out on top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds and looks like you had a good time, even if things were obscured. Or obscure.

    I wish I could hike like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg that is thick fog...and thick foilage...you had your work cut out for you today...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would skip the fog and the hike and go straight to the wine. I know you folks hike rain or shine, but I'm hoping for some shining weather for you some time this summer. You've earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was quite a work out. Maybe it needed to be renamed fog day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That mist looks really thick. You did well to all stay together. I'm used to fog and mist but up on the mountainside? no, not pleasant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another awesome hike with some of the happiest looking folks I have ever seen, as they embark upon their journey !
    That fog is seriously 'soupy', glad you didn't get turned around !
    Wine sounds perfect ;)
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, your next to last photo really shows us how thick that fog was. Sorry you had no views but it sounds like everyone had a great time. You earned that wine after this hike.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the misty, foggy, scenes here!!!

    There is something about fog that I love...the quiet, solitude, yet...hearing every little noise as it's intensified in the misty.

    Wine? Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another adventure with what appear to be the happiest people on earth! Nothing daunts you, nothing gets in the way! I'm looking forward to a few northwest hikes when we get back in July! Thanks foe sharing the foggy ones. I'm weird, I really like the surprise of fog. I like how it changes the ordinary into something not quite familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos,as usual. Especially live the fog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos,as usual. Especially live the fog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great photos,as usual. Especially love the fog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Was the running away tree still there? Yes it looks different this time around..no snow:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You certainly deserve the wine. I love the look of the misty fog, but it is worrisome that you could lose someone. It's so pretty out there.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Golly DJan, that would be kinda creepy walking in the woods trail in fog or mist. I know what it is like to drive up the highway here and only be able to see a few feet in front of you on some foggy mornings. You are always hoping there are no deer or moose crossing. How do you know everyone is always there, still in the group. Do you appoint a spotter to run the end of the line?
    Great photos, love the deep greens of the forest.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh love love love the pics in the fog!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.