Friday, May 13, 2011

Madrone Crest and Raptor Ridge

Well! Finally I am able to post this blog from yesterday's hike. Blogger has been down for almost a whole DAY and after I finished my workout today and read the news, I saw that it is back up. So, without delay, our Thursday hike. As you can see from the above picture, the ferns are unfurling all over the place. My pictures are not great from yesterday's hike, but this one shows that it was mostly sunny and warm.
Fourteen Trailblazers all met at the Senior Center and carpooled up to one of our regular haunts, the Arroyo Park trailhead that takes us to to lots of different places. Here you see Peggy looking quite pretty at Madrone Crest, where the full view was obscured by clouds, so I opted for a picture that shows we were not completely covered in heavy rain gear, or even coats! A very nice day, actually.
We did this same trip about a month ago, so we decided to simply reverse the route, going from Madrone Crest to Raptor Ridge, where we had lunch in the sunshine, as you can see here. Looking at the sky, though, you can see we still had a fair amount of clouds, but by the time we headed back down from our day playing in the woods, the skies had cleared off almost completely. Today, Friday, is just a lovely clear day, with the clouds and rain expected to return just in time for the weekend.
It is always nice to get out in the woods here in Bellingham and spend time with my favorite people. Since the hike covers quite a variety of trails, we can make it a bit longer or shorter, depending on which connecting loop we take. Yesterday we covered just over ten miles and 2,300 feet elevation gain and loss. I was very tired at the end of the day with sore feet, but it's interesting that just having a good night's sleep after my regular medication of a glass of red wine, and I'm feeling just fine today. Oh, and I forgot that Kimberly, who is now a regular Trailblazer, will be posting about our hikes on her blog. Check it out here.

Regular exercise is the trick, I think. I know if I didn't do these hikes regularly, before long they would begin to take their toll on me. As it is, they are the high point of my week! Now off to wash my boots and give them some TLC.
:-)

19 comments:

  1. nice...bet that rushing water in the first pic made some beautiful music...yeah i think it would for sure catch up if you did not do them as often...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed your usual Thursday post. Too bad Blogger was down. I never have problems with Wordpress, wonder why.

    That's a very nice pic of your friend. Her hair brightens the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply beautiful, you experience places others only read about.
    Glad to read you had a wonderful time together, as always.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you find that you focus on different sights when you take the same hike again? I am guessing it must be interesting to see how the flora and fauna changes during different months of the year. I am curious if you see a lot of new growth as the weather gets warmer. It always looks so lush there, so I am curious about how it changes throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see blogger is back up. I always vicariously enjoy your hikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you had a great day for the hike. The weather forecast does sound like we are all going to get rain this weekend.

    I always love to see the lush green over your way DJan, especially those beautiful ferns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right DJan, you've got to do the hikes on a regular basis. I don't know whether it's old age or what but I find that routines are more important than ever,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly, rooly beautiful. Thank you for sharing the beauty with those of us who can't be there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm amazed at all the great hikes you do. Just walking up the hill near our house is a challenge for me. I know this is so great for your health.

    It sure was frustrating when Blogger went down. I'm wondering if I should be backing up my posts or something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are inspiring! These hikes must make for very good night sleeps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet it's lovely to see the changes wrought by nature just in a month's time. I know that I walk nearly the same route every day when I take the dog out and find that I continue to see new things. It's much like watching a movie; you always catch more on the second viewing.

    I'm glad y'all finally found a little sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so prudent to keep going on hikes. I wish I had your wisdom. I think I better take a serious look at what I can join and do something to better my rather couch potato life style.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ferns are such fascinating plants and remind me of my botany classes where we studied them extensively because the professor was wild about ferns. The area where you hike appears to be filled with surprises and special treats no matter how often you hike a trail. I enjoy reading about the sights you encounter on your hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The hikes will come to a stunning halt one of these days. I assumed, long ago when reading your blog, that you are aware of Sasquatch? And my advise is to carry a bag of sweets or extra underwear in case he shows up one of these days you can offer the sweets while you go off somewhere to change the underwear. Sorry. It sounded funny to me...

    Your photography is deftly done. Don't know what camera you are using but it has got to be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful.

    Nice to finally be able to shed the coats, eh??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I loved the ferns unfurling..great photo! So glad the weather cooperated..we have sunshine today here too today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I expect your hikes will keep you young for decades to come. And your writing about them inspires me to do more hiking myself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like such a magical place. Of course I'd need a magic carpet to transport me to the top. Because I'm not sure if I could keep up with your guys.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are amazing, DJan! And an inspiration to all.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.