Thursday, June 13, 2024

Visit by a pesky bug

Wild garden

Across the street from my apartment complex is a lovely wild garden, which always looks beautiful during the month of June. I was walking home from the bus today when I saw these pretty flowers showing off. Since I am not hiking today, I took this to grace the top of my post.

I had such a good time on Tuesday, but I thought I was feeling a bit more tired than I should have been, and then wondered if I was imagining it, or was my throat feeling a little scratchy? In the middle of the night, I woke with a very sore throat, no imagining it at all. I sent a text to my acupuncturist to reschedule my appointment for yesterday, no point in spreading something to others.

Today my throat is somewhat better, but nowhere near normal. I did a couple of Covid tests and both came up negative. I also have an upset stomach, no appetite and loose bowels, so whatever it is that I caught might not be Covid but is probably contagious. When I went to bed last night, I had decided that I wouldn't be going on the hike with the Senior Trailblazers today. In any event, I did feel much better when I woke this morning, so I did my exercises, walked the half-mile to the bus stop, and went off to the coffee shop. I just needed to do something other than lie around all day. 

But when I got there, having expended a minimal amount of energy, I knew I was still suffering from whatever this bug is. I stayed masked except when I took a sip or two, and then I visited the bathroom before taking a bus back home. My plan when I set out was to do my usual three-mile walk home, but I truly didn't feel up to it. I now have just over 5,000 steps for the day, and that will have to do. Still not much appetite, but I did enjoy a salad for lunch. I couldn't tell whether I was feeling hungry or not, but it stayed down and hasn't triggered any bathroom shenanigans. 

So, I am betwixt and between, it seems: not really sick but not really well, either. I don't have a fever, no runny nose, just tired and a very sore throat. I'm up to date with all my shots, so it's possible I'm having something that isn't too bad because of a vaccine. Who knows? I will keep a low profile for the rest of the day, and will look forward to hearing about what I missed out on. 

The second eye jab (this time in the left eye) on Monday was not as bad as the first, but there's no way I can pretend that it's not a wee bit traumatic to have a long needle stuck in one's eye. If it does the trick and slows the atrophy so that I can continue to read and write, I will be very, very happy indeed. Time will tell.

:-)

11 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better, DJan. It's funny though because I've had almost the same thing this week... extremely tired (slept almost all day yesterday), no energy, and although no sore throat, had some digestive issues. I'm better today. Sometimes I think at our age, we're going to have these issues occasionally... whether due to a bug, something we ate, or were exposed to.. or just age. Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better soon, Jan. It must feel strange not to be hiking as usual on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shopping at Costco and then Safeway this morning wiped me out. But I arranged flowers before lunch, had a good sit, and just now ironed a table cloth and set up the dining table, with Tom's help. Now I need to rest. We are haveing family dinner to celebrate Father's Day tomorrow, so Irene can be with us. Jill will be taking her to her Girl Scout Camp job on Hood Canal on Sunday.
    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you haven't been feeling well. There is so much stuff going around. Usually the summers there's a decline in illnesses but hasn't seemed like it this year so far. Hope you are feeling yourself soon. I know you will take care of yourself and you don't want to give it to anyone else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the eye shots do the trick. Dad seemed to be very calm through his macular journey. His wife read the paper to him and other people read to him. He liked to read the bible so many of his friends read the bible to him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of things going around now that the germ spreaders are out of school. Hope you feel better soon! Drink lots of fluids! 5,000 steps is pretty good for being sick. Glad your shot is over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You adjusted your activities as needed but still got out and still did a goodly number of steps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, sorry you're feeling sick, but it was bound to happen. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A day of rest, though unplanned. Hope the bug leaves soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh, DJan! I'm glad you did recover to take that walk later and partake in the potluck.
    Yowch! Just thinking of a long needle going into your eye makes my toes twitch.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.