Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Heron colony inspection

Seniors enjoying the outdoors

Today, twelve Senior Trailblazers of the Happy Wanderer variety set out from the Senior Center to inspect the Post Point Heron Colony. This is the time of year when the heron nests are occupied with parents and little ones. I've heard that for some reason there are lots of babies living long enough to fledge. I can imagine that to an eagle, these little furry creatures look like made-to-order treats. We found lots of nests that are active, with tiny heads peeking out at the world.

See those three heron heads?

It was very windy and rainy when we started out this morning, and our leader, Barb, decided we would check out the heron rookery from the Interurban trail, and if the weather improved we would decide where to go from there. Well, it didn't improve by much, but once the rain picked up, the strong winds died down somewhat.

We didn't cover much distance, somewhere around three miles, and a few of the hikers wanted to keep going, but I was happy that my driver, John, was willing to take me to the bus station so I could get home, dry out and warm up. It wasn't really all that cold, but a stiff wind in a rainstorm makes it feel even colder than it actually is.

I came hope and made myself a nice lunch before starting this post. For those who are interested, last Friday I had the first injection of the stuff that might slow down the geographic atrophy that has completely taken my right eye's central vision and is coming for the other one. If this treatment doesn't work, the best case scenario is another short year before I become legally blind. The injections don't restore anything, but slow it down by about 20% per injection. The good part is that I tolerated the treatment and now he can inject my left eye on June 10. Apparently this gunk he put in my eye is very thick and nothing like the treatment for "wet" macular degeneration. Oh well, I can only hope it will give me a bit longer to continue to read and write. I will be learning all about visual aids for people like me in the future.

There is so much to be grateful for, and I need to concentrate on that. Good friends, both physical and virtual, are holding me up in so many wonderful ways.

:-)

14 comments:

  1. DJan, glad you got to go on the hike to see the herons and their hatchlings... and didn't let the wind and rain deter you. And so happy that you're tolerating the eye injection... although sorry you have to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a gaggle of 15 goslings today, and I contemplated about how many might make it to adulthood and reproduction. I imagine that most will not.

    I mentioned recently that there is help for the blind re computers and books and so on. If you continue to deteriorate, please look into it in advance. We had a friend become legally blind, and although people, including me, tried to help with computer programs, it was too difficult for her. Mind you, she'd had a stoke, and I think her brain was also somewhat impacted.

    I promise to now keep nagging you about this. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heron rookeries are so cool. We have a couple of nests up high in trees on the lagoon dike at the Whidbey cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be a thrill to see the heron rookery with the wee ones in the nests.

    You are in my thoughts a lot these days, Jan. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep working at it. The hiking does wonders for you and every little bit helps with macular.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have loved to go with you to see the herons and am thrilled that you tolerated the treatment. I really, really hope it exceeds expectations. Huge hugs and much love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. \We have a rookery in our area, I have not been there in a few years. I believe the the Lions have different kinds of sight enhancing things. My Aunt had a machine that allowed her to read for a really long time:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen herons. Very pretty birds. Good luck with your eye treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kay of Musings: The heron rookery sounded so interesting.
    But DJan, I’m so sorry for all you’re going through. Gosh! An injection in the eye? Yikes! I remember having to be with my mom when she had to have an injection in her eye when she had that

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kay of Musings: Darn! I just saw that I didn’t finish this comment. I must have been called away. This was when mom got a hemorrhage in her eye when her sister passed away suddenly. Anyway…. I’m hoping those shots do some magic for you. It did help mom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even though the weather wasn't very cooperative it must have been great to see the rookery.
    I figured the dry MD shots must be quite different. My mom had one eye dry and one eye wet so she could only get the shot in the wet eye. So glad they have developed a shot for the dry MD. I hope it helps for a long, long time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to see herons like that. what a treat!! i hope the eye treatment helps. It sounds difficult. I have a macular pucker which renders my right eye pretty much out of service. i'm still contemplating doing the surgery but for now it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. DJan, I’ve got to say … that group of Senior Trailblazers (of the Happy Wanderer variety) does look to be a happy group! 😊 Thanks for the link and info about the Post Point Heron Colony. I’d like to check it out someday. John

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad that you can get out with your hiking friends and be in the world with them. I know that gives you great joy. Keep doing it as long as possible, which I am hoping is a very long time. Your eye doctor may be your sight's salvation with his treatments. I'm sure they are not fun, but if they can help just a little, then good for you for giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.