Monday, May 11, 2020

The state of our garden

The umbrella at our table in the garden
I intended to go for a nice walk yesterday, but first I went out to see how our community garden is doing. It was midday, and way too hot for me. I pulled a few weeds and then wilted in the heat and decided against a walk.
Raspberries
Everything is doing very well out here, and one day before too long there will be too many raspberries all at once (but we'll manage). Carter, our gardening maven, drastically cut back the bushes in early spring, but still there are plenty left. I love these berries and look forward to enjoying them one day.
My little patch
I'm afraid I neglected my little plot and the carrots didn't make it, so Carter replanted them, and I promised to water them at least once a day. You can see the lovely salad greens to the right of my area, which I will take advantage of one of these days. I still need to get a tomato plant under the white cage that my friend John  made for me a few years ago. Things are thriving. I watched Carter plant a bunch of beans as I languished in the shade of the umbrella.

It's a little cooler today, so I feel like I might actually make it out for a nice walk, which always makes me feel much better about the state of the world. I had a very nice Mother's Day, even if I didn't get my walk. Hope you did, too.
:-)

16 comments:

  1. It sounds like you function in hot weather like I do in cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to comprehend that it is so warm in some places. We have a frost warning tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have flowering strawberries! Always fun to see what you are growing:) Yes water helps seedling carrots:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for you. I wilt early in the heat and any gardening has to be done not long after first light.
    We are (finally) having blissfully cool days and nights.
    Enjoy your walk - and the raspberries to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our days are unseasonably cool, usually by early May we are in the high eighties, but just this past week, were under a freeze warning.
    Your little plot always does so well, even if later than normal.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since we have planting to do this week in our vegetable garden we are glad for the return of cooler days. In anything over 75 I have to work in the morning, evening, or in the shade.
    Sounds like Carter should have first rights to any of your crops. Nice that he's taking care of your patch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your as bad as me for putting things off! But I'm going for a walk after I make a few comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you could share some of that heat Jan. It is so cold and windy here with rain and or snow tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are still having frosts so I haven't planted anything. Wish I had a Carter to motivate me. Know you will be nurturing those sprouts in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your garden. As for me, if I was a farmer, I'd starve to death. Fortunately my brother-in-law has a huge garden ... and we are on friendly terms!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you. I wilt in the heat. Supposed to begin warming up again here, but right now it's still on the chilly side. Hope you had a nice walk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do have a nice of patch of soil just ready for planting. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're ambitious in my book! Gardening is a huge job of work and can never be neglected (as it being too hot - that, I understand.)

    You know, I live walking. Any chance I get.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope everyone's safe and staying safe. I just read that the virus is mutating and getting much more dangerous. I don't want to alarm anyone but it's time to get right with God, cause this is getting downright scary! Stay home and stay safe, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That’s quite a lovely amount of gardening space. It’s a whole lot bigger than mine, but then my brown thumb would probably not produce what you have been able to create each year.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.