Monday, January 6, 2020

Trying something new

Whatcom Falls last Saturday
Last week, I wrote my usual Thursday Senior Trailblazer post, but skipped my Saturday and Tuesday posts for the second or third week in a row. I almost posted again this past Saturday, but the day got away from me before I got around to it.

And I'm beginning to think that maybe it makes more sense to write a post on Mondays, since I have stopped doing volunteer work that day. My schedule is still plenty full, with yoga classes on Tuesdays and Fridays, my rarely missed Thursday hikes, and the Saturday walk with the ladies (and one man). Not to mention the four days a week at the YMCA, which I am considering shaking up, too. It's just time for me to reassess what I am doing out of habit, and what I am doing because I really want to.

For the first time in eight years, I will not fly to Florida to visit my sister this winter. Looking into the near future without having to consider how to schedule that trip, I realize that it gives me a sense of freedom that opens up new possibilities. Maybe I'll start making an occasional trip to Texas to see the rest of my family, I don't quite know yet. But at this point in my life, barreling quickly towards my eightieth birthday (well, not quite but almost), I am wanting to get out of old habits and spend my days fully engaged in doing what gives me the most pleasure, while I still can.
Some of the Saturday walking group
I am so happy that I have such a great group of friends to exercise with on Saturday mornings. Every New Years Day, Cindy (our leader, front row in lavender) brings carafes of coffee, hot chocolate, and her famous fig bars to share with us. We bring our leftover holiday goodies. Before we bring this out, however, we make one 2.6-mile loop around the lake. Afterwards, some will make a second loop, but others (like me this year) will just head home, too full of food to even consider it. This is one group that is high on my list of activities to keep. I'm afraid they would have too much fun without me!
:-)

17 comments:

  1. It sounds like that was a good way to spend New Year's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So ...the lady who finds comfort in routine is shaking it up! Who knows what is possible! Do what you wanna do, go where you wanna go...sound like a familiar old song:) What ever you do you will rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you don't want to miss out on the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear DJan, like you, I'm assessing my options for each day and letting go of what no longer truly interests me or fulfills some deep, down longing within my spirit. Good luck with your sorting! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're never too young to shake things up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s a good idea to reassess things every so often.

    That looks like a great group!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes paring down is a good thing. We should only do things that really bring us pleasure. You certainly have a full calendar so freeing up a day won't shake up your routine too much. Just make sure you keep us on your schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a hardy bunch to have coffee and goodies outside at this time of year. These groups are very supportive of one another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too smile at the though of this routine lover shaking things up. As for blogging, just do it when you have something to share. Routine is not required.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for shakeups.
    And wonderful friends - including cyber ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is occasional blogging on your revamped schedule? If so, you have me backing you up on your desire to change.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always click on your blogs no matter which day it is. That way I won't miss reading about your latest things to do. Keep on trucking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An inspiration for all of us to "get out of old habits and spend our days fully engaged in doing what gives us the most pleasure."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes you need to reassess your patterns and habits--yes. Especially if you find you are not feeling fully present most times in what you are doing or that it is not the top of your list anymore as to what you truly want to be doing. This is a good year to shake things up a bit. I have no doubt you will sort out what your best days should include. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, do what makes you happy, it's my New Years resolution, I am learning to say "NO" to invitations and other people's plans if it is not something I care to do.
    Your hike sounds like a lovely time, a day spent with your closest friends.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You’re so lucky to have such a hardy group of friends who are motivated to keep healthy.

    As for writing blog posts, I have a few friends here who read my blog regularly (and don’t comment) but tell me that they read the posts every morning. Sigh. So then I feel obligated to keep writing something. However, someday, like you... I might need to change up and just do two or three days a week. We’ll see.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.