Thursday, May 2, 2019

Fine day in the Chuckanuts

Part of today's group on the trail
Thirteen Senior Trailblazers went out into the Chuckanuts for a rainless but chilly and overcast start to the day. The trail was called a "lollipop," meaning we started and ended with the same trail (the Two Dollar trail) but made a meandering loop in the middle. I was almost at the end of the line, and while these hikers stopped for us slower ones to catch up, I took this picture. You can tell by the way we are dressed that it wasn't warm, by any means.
Pretty trail with lots of fresh greenery
We've been seeing lots of trillium for weeks now, and there are many other flowers coming out everywhere, along with fiddlehead ferns and just about everything that is not already in bloom will emerge within a week or two.
Fresh, sweet trillium patch
Leslie pointed out this patch of trillium flowers that I would have missed otherwise. They are obviously fresh blooms, because this is what happens to trillium when they are at the end of their one seasonal bloom:
Old trillium just about done
They turn pink and then red before dying for the season, and then starting the process all over next spring. Such beauty, though, is a delight to see. We walked to Gates Overlook and got there early enough to have a short lunch break, before heading down the Rock trail.
Rock trail
After having climbed up to the Overlook (with little to no view and a brisk wind), we then descended down the more than 175 steps to the South Lost Lake trail. I find it hard to navigate this trail down and would rather hike up it, as my knees are feeling quite worked out as I sit here after our day's exertions.
A few of the Rock trail stairs
It's a beautiful area, and nobody seemed to have much problem with the elevation gain today, although we went up and down around 2,500 feet in just over nine miles. Not an easy day, but well worth it.
Fragrance Lake
It had been blustery and cold until we started down the trail to Fragrance Lake for a quick second lunch stop. You can see how glassy smooth the lake was as we started down the Two Dollar trail back to the cars.
Samish Bay under clearing skies
Melanie was able to capture this picture of the bay as the skies cleared. It was almost 2:30pm by this time, and the promised sunshine began to emerge just as we reached the cars. The temperature had warmed a little as well, but I was happy to see the cars and head back to the Senior Center. It was a really lovely day, and we not only had great weather (it's always better to be cooler than too warm), we also had our usual great company and I enjoyed myself immensely. I also know I'll sleep well tonight!
:-)

14 comments:

  1. Who would have thought a lollipop could be healthy, beautiful and enjoyed with lots of friends!
    Those steps would have done for me. Up I could (perhaps) have managed them. Down? No.
    Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those downward steps without railings are daunting to me. I guess trekking poles help with stability, but, yes, hard on the knees.
    We spent a lot of time gardening today, wishing the sun would shine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thinl I'm getting familiar with the Chuckanuts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't like going down steps. It doesn't just jar the knees but your whole body.They always seem to make a weird sized step and that's what hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The steps would be my shortcoming, but ooh those views, simply stunning.
    Sounds like you had a fun time with your fellow hikers.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, those steps! But what a gorgeous spot, cold or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don’t know if I’d get very far because I’d have to stand in awe of that forest. It is gorgeous!

    Well done for another Thursday, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like it was such a lovely trail to hike. All those stairs would be a bit daunting with knee issues, but you all survived the blustery day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice photos of the trillium. Yes, it's much better to hike in cool weather rather than hot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I'm with you on going DOWN steps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a long walk and sorry you had to navigate those down stairs. I could do them easier that up with my lungs. Cool does sound like the best hiking weather.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trilliums here tend to come out later this month.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun to see the Trilliums turn such a pretty color! Ours just get a pale pink :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.