Thursday, January 24, 2019

First hike back home

So many cool friends
Well, although my time asleep last night was a bit on the short side, I decided when I woke up this morning to go ahead and join my fellow Trailblazers on a hike in the Chuckanuts. We started from the North Chuckanut Trailhead and hiked up and down around nine miles and 2,000 feet. I was sure tired by the time we reached Raptor Ridge, but I knew it would help me get back to normal if I went out today.
Frilly decorated mushroom
Melanie pointed out this pretty mushroom and we all exclaimed over its decoration, frilly and delightful. I am so blessed to live in the Pacific Northwest, even with all its rain (which we didn't have any of today). It's so green and lush, beauty everywhere I looked.
Happy birthday, Al!
Melanie had let us all in on a little secret before the hike started: it is Al's birthday, and she bought this lovely ginger cake and stuck a single candle in it. When we reached Raptor Ridge and had finished our lunch, we gathered around him and sang "Happy Birthday."
Al smiling at his surprise party
Cutting it into 13 pieces
We all enjoyed the ginger cake with cream-cheese frosting before heading back down the trail, where we made a loop and returned a different way, making the entire trip a very good workout, especially for those who had recently returned from travels. My long day was nothing compared to Tom's, who just returned this morning from Sri Lanka and a 13-hour flight. We were both really tired but happy to be there.
View from Raptor Ridge
Although we didn't ever have direct sun today, I saw that there was definitely sunshine in other places. It looked like it might clear off, but  then it didn't, and now it's completely overcast. But it was perfect hiking weather for us today, with perfectly wonderful companions.
It takes a village
Dianne saw these tiny little mushrooms just before we reached the cars. She sent the picture to me, and I marveled at the minute little "village" of mushrooms. They are new to me; I've never seen them before. Aren't they pretty?
The final mile of today's hike looked like this
I loved my trip to Florida, but it only took one day for me to realize that this place is my home. It's always wonderful to visit a different place, because you return to the familiar, seeing your surroundings with new eyes. Today that is what happened to me. A magnificent day.
:-)

18 comments:

  1. I am completely unsurprised that despite a lack of sleep you headed out today. And loved walking with you. A very happy birthday to Al.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home!
    I'm glad you had a good visit in Florida, and I am happy that you are safely home.
    What a great idea to surprise Al with the cake and candle on the hike today.
    You have a wonderful group of friends.
    Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It feels good to be home. Glad you were able to get right back into your regular routine with a hike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home. You are back in the groove!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good friends! Good trails! It makes for a very pleasant life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear you are safely back home! It is starting to look a bit spring like there:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a good spot to stop and sit for a bit of birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just knew you'd be chomping at the bit to be hiking with your friends. Loved both mushroom pics and what a nice birthday surprise for Al! It's nice to be home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you had a safe trip back. Sometimes we need to get away to really see our everyday lives with new appreciation.
    The cake was a sweet thought for your fearless leader's birthday..

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always fun to visit other places, but returning home is always comforting.
    Looks like you had a grand hike, and right back into your routine, with birthday cake to share....what could be more fun !
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's no place like home... Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sweet to celebrate Al's birthday. And wow, 13 hours in the air to get from Sri Lanka to Washington?

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness...you're back home already? Time flies!

    Beautiful country...great finger cake...and welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH MY! You get home and go right back into climbing a mountain.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.