Thursday, January 19, 2017

Alger Alp 2017

Squires Lake, partly frozen, in the rain
Eleven Senior Trailblazers showed up on an overcast, dreary morning to do a short hike around Squires Lake and the ridge trail that takes us up to a view. We didn't expect one, really, with the weather wet and windy, albeit warm, compared to our last two hikes in subfreezing weather. It is 48°F (9°C) right now, much warmer than last week's hike.
Looking at the water leaving the lake
But today it's wet, as you can tell from the above picture. We know how to behave in rain, but to tell you the truth, nobody actually hoped for it. Instead, we kept hoping for it to stop. After a few hours, it did, more or less, and we actually got a view when we were at the overlook.
Olympic rain shadow in the distance
Al pointed out the rain shadow effect, that makes the area around Sequim, Washington, so much drier than Seattle and points north (like Bellingham). You can read about the Olympic Rain Shadow here, if you're interested. Anyway, we weren't in it, although we could see its effect clearly. The I-5 interstate also runs through that valley, so we could hear the traffic very well, except for those times on the hike when we were sheltered by the south ridge.
Ward, Linda, Barb, Kirk, Jay, Victoria, Melanie, Ellen
I got this picture of the group at the overlook, except for Al and Mikey, who were still making their way to join us. Jay has joined the group for the first time, but I suspect it won't be the last. He said he had walked with the other Trailblazers group, but they stopped too often for his taste. He didn't get that from us, which is why most of us use hydration packs for water: if I didn't have mine I wouldn't be drinking nearly often enough. Here's a closeup of Jay.
Jay at the overlook
I saw the fog beginning to come up the valley, and I said, "Jay! Over here, quick!" I wanted to get him in the picture before it disappeared. He was happy to comply. In any event, he dashed right over. After a short break, we decided to head back down to Squires Lake for lunch, since it was still too early to stop quite yet. We arrived at the lake for lunch at about 11:30, so once we ate and covered the short distance to the cars, we headed back to the Center. I got this arty shot while at the lake.
Trees, ice, reflection
By the time we got back from our short hike, we had covered almost six miles and somewhere around a bit more than a thousand feet of elevation gain and loss. Not one of our harder hikes, for sure, but with the rain pattering on my hat, I knew that it wasn't going to be one of those days when we lingered over our lunch. All in all, it was way better than sitting around the house and wishing I was outdoors, and as usual the company was superb.
:-)

16 comments:

  1. You really do LIVE life to it's fullest !
    What a fantastic group of friends :)
    Beautiful scenery, it brightened my grey day...
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely hike. I know exactly what you mean about the outdoors. I am missing our excursions here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so grateful you share the magic and the beauty. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are indeed a hearty soul to take on such a trek. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my tai chi class this morning and then took the light rail into the Capitol Hill station to go to my appointment at Group health Medical Center this afternoon. It's just a six block walk up to the center from the station, but even that much of a walk felt good in the fresh, wet air.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jay looks very intrepid ... and I love your "Trees, Ice, Reflection" picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was totally unaware of that specific little area of rain shadow, though I understand the concept. The map was very useful, and I noted Victoira is part of it too. Makes sense to me. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hated eating sandwiches in the rain! Short hike 6 miles? I'd say you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your weekly hikes always bring a smile to my face. Glad your friends always get out rain or shine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys are really intrepid hikers! I would NOT want to walk in cold rain. The camaraderie is awesome though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even with the rain, the scene is dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you might have a new member! Despite the rain, looks like it was a good day to be out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rain is my least favourite weather for walking. Despite the weather you got some great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My what a soggy looking but full of smiles group. You are definitely a glass half full bunch which is the best way to be. Loved your reflection shot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It misty/rained here too...now everything is icy! Good to hear you had a hike even in the rain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing your experience and these beautiful photos :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.