Saturday, April 4, 2015

Eclipse and more

This morning's Blood Moon Eclipse
I got up early this morning at 4:30am to photograph the total lunar eclipse. I'm pretty tired right now, after having spent the last eight hours in a class, the first of two days worth, on how to become a Death Doula. What is that, you ask? Well, I'm only halfway through, so all I can say is that the first day was totally worth it. A "doula" is often used to refer to a woman who helps other women through childbirth. A new movement is afoot to train people to preside over the other end of the life cycle, providing continuous physical, emotional and transformational support to the dying person before, during, and just after death.

Years ago (actually, more than thirty), I signed up in Boulder as a Hospice Volunteer. I went through two days of training then, too, but it was totally different. Or I should say I was different then, and there were many more people: more than fifty as opposed to eight today. Back then, I would spend time with the dying person while the primary caregiver took a much-needed break. The process of caring for the terminally ill has evolved since those days; I'll be writing more about it tomorrow morning on my other blog. For now, I'm just going to leave you with this wonderful picture from the tulip fields:
From the LoveBellingham Facebook page
Next Wednesday I will be in those fields, and I'm hoping to get some really wonderful pictures. But between now and then, I've got another day of learning ahead, and a rental car coming my way on Monday!
:-)

17 comments:

  1. Look forward to learning more, but in the meantime the tulip fields are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to learning more about your training. Such an important role. Our culture really doesn't do death well.
    Love the tulips.
    We were too cloudy to see the blood moon - so I am grateful for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the photo of the moon. It is really special. Especially when one thinks of you getting up so early to capture it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cool you got to see and photograph the blood moon! i looked for it, but it was not visible here. lovely tulips, too. the death doula is an interesting idea. i would think it would take a very special person to do that function/work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn! I missed the eclipse. I was up about 3 and it was very clear so I would have had a good view.
    You are in some heavy stuff. It's a very honorable thing to volunteer to look after someone as they are approaching death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pic of the moon! I slept through the entire thing - but we had cloudy skies here so I would've missed it anyway.

    Hey - I was at a tulip farm on Friday. It was fantastic! I'll post photos in a week or so, once I've sorted through the hundreds I took. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see your photo! I meant to get up but was so tired I slept right through the whole thing. Sounds like you are enjoying your class! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I slept through the moon thing too. In fact I was unaware, which is unusual for me. Too much other stuff on my mind, I guess.
    I'll be interested to read your reaction to your class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Art happened to get up at 1:30 and took some photos, but his hand wasn't steady enough and the photos were not as good as yours. Good going! That is an awesome tulip photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it it's fabulous that you're going to be a death doula. After being with my cousin in December I can see where having someone for support is so very important at the end of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any thought of anything happening round the moon got squashed with another late blizzard.....so, we ain't seeing tulips anytime soon dearie. I think you will do marvelous in this class and its very important and pretty wonderful to have a Death Doula, especially those that do not have anyone to comfort them at the end of their days. You are perfect with all your compassion and that big heart of yours DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to hearing about the class. Glad your car is finally going to be fixed. Happy Easter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That photo of the tulips is so beautiful. I can imagine it as an oil painting.
    I did not see the eclipse, but did see a full moon the other night.
    I am not sure I would want to be a doula, but more power to you for doing this. Good luck and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never seen a blood moon so I appreciate you getting up so early to share the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What an astounding photo! When I die, I would like to move into that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I wish I could have been with you to photograph the moon. And when you go to the tulip fields as well. I'm jealous. I can imagine you will make a wonderful caring doula. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. DJ, what a terrific care giving approach. The end of life is so daunting. My MIL keeps weakening, her body fails her, then she rallies. It's exhausting for all concerned. Modern meds are keeping her going-ten daily to date. It's ridiculous. I'll be interested to hear more.

    Love the tulips. Such a field that must be!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.