Friday, August 28, 2009

Sunny Herman Saddle

This trip to Herman Saddle (click any picture to enlarge) could not be more different than the trip last year, when it rained all day, except when it was snowing and blowing. We had warm temperatures, and we stopped for lunch here at Iceberg Lake. This hike takes us up over Herman Saddle and then down past several lakes (the Chain Lakes, the largest of which is Iceberg), then back up the other side around Table Mountain, and back down to the start. Since this is a loop, you don't cover the same ground and go back a different way.
Here I am at the top of Table Mountain, and in the background you can see a forest fire and Mt. Shuksan to the right. We had been told this fire has been going for a couple of weeks, almost getting under control, and then starting up again. Other than that, the scenery was gorgeous, and I'm not sure I will be able to keep my excitement up there at maximum if I get too used to this! (Oh wait, it was only two weeks ago that I was in the rain all day long, so scratch that.)
Our view this time included a slightly different angle of Mt. Baker. I was humming along as I walked, "I've looked at Baker from all sides now, from up and down..." because I definitely have been treated to this beautiful mountain from so many different viewpoints that it is beginning to feel like an old friend.
This beautiful person here is Karen (also featured in other pictures), allowing me to try out my fill-in flash feature, which worked wonderfully! The bright sunlight was obscuring people's faces, so I tried it and was so pleased to see how well it works. It does help sometimes to read the manual.
Fred is sporting his new headband, a present from me. He was complaining that my new hat doesn't sparkle enough, like the old one, so I brought this for him and told him it's now his job to be our sparkly one. Several people on the trail commented on it, so I took this picture so he could see how great he looks. Twenty of us made this trip yesterday, and all I can say is, thanks, Senior Trailblazers, for the fabulous memories we're building together!
:-)

10 comments:

  1. You live in such beautiful scenery DJan – I believe if I could watch a mountain from many angles as you can, I would walk a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Vagabonde about the scenery. I think I would be tempted to not come back for a few days. To behold such beauty and then leave seems abrupt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and breathtaking. I wish I could see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rae's right. Your photos took my breath away. I felt like I was almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful surroundings ,so arresting,serene and no wonder you are outdoors more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DJ,

    Like you, I will not only hum while walking along Mt. Baker, I will shout for joy! That's a great achievement!

    And I miss your hike stories. Thanks for that.

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice photographs. I enjoyed the hat too.

    Thanks for your visit to my Pick a Peck of Pixels Blog and for your comment there about wearing long underwear. Pick a Peck of Pixels

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are making me wish I could skip right to retirement! but then I'd miss so much. I hope I can still hike when I retire, I have bad knees already in my 30s. Thanks for posting those beautiful photos! -kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, look at that sunshine and great views. A drastic change from the last few weeks for your group (unless I missed sunshine in your post from last week).

    The view of Mt. Baker is great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The air is so clear up there! I didn't see a forest fire in the picture? I did see and like very much your purple sunglasses. I want those!!!
    There's still a bit of hippie in you Djan (tee hee).
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.