Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Sehome Hill Arboretum

Explanarion of the Arboretum

The Western Washington University campus has an arboretum, which we, the Happy Wanderers of the Senior Trailblazers, visited today. We started from 24th Street in Fairhaven and walked on various trails until we reached the observation tower. There are almost 200 acres of protected land within the boundaries of the "Arb." Classes, I learned, are often taught there, to better help students understand the natural environment.

Closer to the steep parts, we were warned

There were sixteen senior adventurers today, on a day when we expected a fair bit of rain, but woke to sunny skies and nary a sign of any possible precipitation. It did rain all night, though, so there were some muddy spots, but not many.

Tunnel through the rock

At one point, we entered a tunnel through rock to continue on our way to the tower. There were plenty of birds around, making for some really lovely birdsong, and even a few eagles flying overhead. The mood was jovial and we had a good almost six-mile walk through the forests, until we reached the observation tower.

View of Bellingham Bay from the tower

It was a lovely way to spend our Tuesday morning, and afterwards, since we were in town again, some of us headed over to the taco place for Taco Tuesday. I enjoyed another quick lunch of tacos, chips, and salsa. This could become a really fun way to finish our local hikes, for sure.

On the way home, I stopped by our local Rite Aid to see if I could get the latest Covid booster without an appointment. Sure enough, they accommodated me and I am now up to date with my hopes of prevention from getting ill from Covid. Everywhere I turn, someone else I know has gotten it again. Some day all this will be over, but Covid is not done with us yet.

:-)

13 comments:

  1. Cool! I wonder if Irene has hiked to the tower. She's on Spring Break now, but I'll have to ask her later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a fun bunch to hike with! Then tacos and a shot. What a day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You remind me that I should check and see if it's time for more shots on covid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arboretums are WONDERFUL places aren't they. I am glad (and unsurprised) you enjoyed yourself. And well done for keeping your covid shots up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ending a walk with a meal together just completes the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos DJan,and good for you for being up to date with the vaccine. As you know, I got covid because MY Rite-Aid closed, and a friend (who had covid) gave me a ride to another store to get my prescriptions. That was at Christmas and I am still fighting this darn long covid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Public health is recommending seniors have a spring booster here too. Our last shot was only five months ago. A great hike, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I want tacos, salsa and chips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DJan, love your pics - and now you have me wondering if we need another covid vac. We had our last one last September (#5), do we really need another? Guess I will call our PCP and check.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to love days spent at the arboretum, in ours there were test plots of trees and shrubs that they grew out and could introduce a new cultivar! It was very interesting especially in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a neat place. I always gave one of my classes a project in our university's arboretum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a lot of fun. There's something about going through a tunnel that always makes me think of it as an adventure.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.