Thursday, March 28, 2024

Laid back Thursday

Beautiful flowering tree

You know it's spring when you see the trees bursting out with gorgeous flowers like this one. I see it every day on my walk home from Cornwall Park. They don't stay as amazing as this for very long, so I stopped to take a quick picture. We only have a few more days left in March, and then all the rain and longer days will bring us more and more scenes like this.

When I got my Covid booster on Tuesday afternoon, I didn't expect to spend the entire day feeling like I did yesterday: weak and achey. I hadn't had as strong a reaction to a Covid shot before. I went to bed early last night, and that's saying something for me, who normally gets to bed when most people are sitting down for dinner. When I woke this morning, I felt much, much better, but I wasn't sure it was a good idea to go out and test myself on another uphill jaunt. I'm happy to stay home and maybe get some laundry done instead. There will always be next week. Plus, I have to remember that I don't bounce back from setbacks as quickly these days.

First signs of lilac buds

Walking up my driveway, I spied these little guys, who will soon burst forth into fragrant flower. At first, I didn't want to think winter is already done with us, but now I'm getting the feeling that spring is undeniably here! Tomorrow is Good Friday, reminding me that when I was spending Holy Week at the Convent of St. Walburga, this was the day when the nuns would ceremoniously wash the feet of the retreatants, This was to remind us of Jesus humbly washing the feet of his disciples as one of his last acts before being crucified. The Abbey has since moved away from Boulder, where I got to know about it.
The Abbey of St. Walburga is a community of Benedictine contemplative nuns of the Roman Catholic Church. They are located in a valley in northern Colorado, where the high plains meet the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

Yes, there was a time when I toyed with the idea of becoming a nun, but I was young and impressionable in my youth. There are so many alternate paths I could have followed, but my life would have been completely different. I guess this is true of most of us. I am happy in my marriage, which I never thought would happen; however, we will soon celebrate our thirtieth anniversary, which is quite something when you meet and marry in your fifties. Life is filled with surprises, isn't it?

:-)

12 comments:

  1. Those spring blossoms are gorgeous. I am sorry that you had a bad reaction to your latest covid shot - and hope it has done its work of immunising you.
    Huge hugs - and I am so very glad that the life path you took introduced you to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is filled with good surprises. It's a surprise that the covid shot had such a kick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DJan,
    This edition of DJan-ity weaves together the vivid tapestries of spring’s arrival, personal reflections, and poignant memories with remarkable grace. The juxtaposition of the natural beauty encountered on your walks, with the personal experience of receiving a Covid booster, offers a candid snapshot of life's simple yet profound moments. Your observation of the budding trees serves as a hopeful metaphor for renewal and resilience, themes echoed in your recounting of Holy Week traditions and reflections on life’s unexpected paths.

    Celebrating an upcoming thirtieth anniversary, after meeting and marrying in your fifties, underlines the theme of life's unpredictability and the beauty of its surprises. Your post resonates with a sense of gratitude and contemplation, inviting readers to reflect on their own journeys and the small, often overlooked moments that add richness to our lives. It’s a beautiful reminder of the intertwined nature of personal growth, seasonal change, and the unexpected twists that define our existence. Congrats to you and SG!
    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tree really is beautiful! Yes, Spring is here too. Sunny and cool and flowers everywhere! It's definitely my favorite season. Congrats on your upcoming Anniversary! And Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And aren't we glad it is filled with surprises! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you have some beautiful Spring blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been entranced with the emerging Spring. We are back to sunny days now again, and all of it looks better against a blue sky.
    I hope you are feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That first photo is a glorious one, Sister DJan. You are a marvelous photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. True, life is full of surprises, even as we get older. I was surprised to see the snow covering your tree ... until I realized it was flowers. Beautiful surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a GORGEOUS tree! It's super impressive. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Wow! You too? We got the latest COVID shot last Sunday and had the exact same reaction! We've never gotten hit with the arm pain and exhaustion like this before. However, it only lasted a day and we were fine the following day. I thought it was because we got the RSV shot at the same time, but I guess not because someone else told me they had the same reaction. Whatever the case... it wasn't awful at all and I'm glad we're protected for our upcoming trips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice post - it is one filled with gratitude. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.