Thursday, January 27, 2022

Still injured

The sun, a week ago

I took this picture on my hike last Thursday with Melanie. I had to text her yesterday to let her know that I am still injured, unable to walk very far without serious pain. I think I pinched a nerve in the sacroiliac area while trying to work out the kinks in my back. Everything hurt in the area once I finished "fixing" it up. I went to my acupuncturist and he worked on it and made it better, but he also cautioned against doing anything like that again, and said I should keep my walking to just a few minutes until the pain has resolved.

While I was reassured when I wrote my post on Monday that I'd be in much better shape soon, I was once again wrong. After a day of being able to do my exercises, the next day I had to modify three of the five in order to get them done. Every day since then there has been miniscule improvement, but it's been so slow that I have allowed myself to get a little depressed by it all. The usual exercise of walking and hiking that I depend on has been curtailed. Today, however, after several days of morosely staring out at dense fog and no sun, it all changed. The sun came out and is gloriously shining! 

I couldn't help but get outside and walk in it for awhile, and to my great relief, a mile-and-a-half walk didn't hurt but instead soothed my back pain. Not to mention my mood. Now I am feeling much, much better and hopeful that by Saturday I'll be able to join my friend Melanie for a nice walk once again.

Like many people who are having difficulties because of the super-contagious omicron virus, I have also stayed away from places that might expose me to it. Yesterday, however, I donned my brand-new N95 mask and went to the Senior Center to listen to an hour-long talk by Edwina Norton about her book and learned what it must have been like to take up the priesthood as a seventy (something)-year-old woman. It was very interesting, and also daunting to consider what one would have to endure to get to that level, at any age. 

I finished her book on my Kindle this morning. It took six years for her to write it, and she has pretty much retired from anything too strenuous as she has arthritis and nerve damage. She is very lucid and fascinating to listen to, however, which gives me hope that my meditation practice will do something similar for me. Her book, Autumn Light: My Fifty Years in Zen, is a little pricey, so I read the sample first. Of course, that was all it took for me to spring for it, and I'm glad I did.

So that's what I have done with my beautiful Thursday instead of taking a nice long hike in the sunshine. It is enough, and I'm simply grateful for all the sunshine and for my slowly healing back. I hope the Trailblazers are having a great day, too!

:-)

16 comments:

  1. Listen to your acupuncturist and I am so glad he helped you. You will get back, you just must take it slow and steady. Sunshine really is an attitude adjuster isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked very much reading the turnaround here DJan, and wow I'd say a mile-and-a-half walk was a good sign! I hope your better condition continues to improve & last. Also cool to read about your acupuncturist, I thought about visiting one awhile back for my TMD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the healing is occurring. We're pretty wary of O but hope to get out to breakfast next week. And also celebrate JJ's birthday. And just maybe, a new month will bring some relief from this dep cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Backs can be a big problem and challenge to overcome problems. One doesn't know whether to challenge things or rest things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to spend a Thursday instead of your usual hike. There are wonderful things to fill our spirits with happiness if we but look around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To take up anything that ambitious at age 70 is pretty daunting. She's must have been quite an inspiration. Take care of that back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that you had a nice walk and listened to such an interesting lecture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My comments to you are not going thru I guess.

    But, take things slow to recover fully!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems that our bodies are reminding us of our poor habits of our youth. I am now having dental problems, and some autoimmune issues. I wish I had taken better care of my teeth and also watched my diet while I was younger. Ah well, we will carry on and hopefully get better, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's Friday morning, well noon now, and I am identifying with your post. In a bit I will go outside in the filtered sunshine to walk a bit and see how it feels today. So far progress has been very slow. And now, to add to my blues, I just found out my TAVR heart surgery is being delayed from Feb 1, to Feb 15, or perhaps later, due to overload of COVID patients.
    I am down, but I will persist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could not live where it is so cold. It was 66 here yesterday, but still cold in the shade. I hardly stepped out of the house except to feed the cats and squirrels and then to walk briefly while talking on the phone with a friend who is being tasked with the impossible. I told her I would help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you are improving. Enjoy the beautiful sunny days when you get them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sun how nice! Hope you are taking it easy so you feel better soon:)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.